Sponsor to CanadaSome Canadians or Permanent Residents of Canada sponsor their partners (legally marries spouses, common-law partners, or conjugal partners) for the purpose of immigration to Canada. I explained who is a potential partner or spouse (the person who intends to immigrate to Canada) in another article. Here I focus on the characteristics of a potential sponsor. As a general rule, a sponsor is…

  • a citizen or permanent resident (PR) of Canada
  • if a PR resides in Canada and if a citizen either resides in Canada or intends to move to Canada when his or her spouse moves to Canada
  • is at least 18 years old
  • has not been sponsored to Canada as a spouse in the past five years
  • promises to support his or her spouse for three years from the day they land in Canada
  • promises to support his or her spouse’s children for 10 years or till they are 19
  • is not subject to a removal order from Canada
  • is not in any prison, jail, penitentiary, or reformatory
  • has not serious issues with the law (contact us for official advice)
  • is not in default of certain obligations (contact us for official advice)
  • is not in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability
  • files a sponsorship application and provides all necessary documents and signed forms

Many other conditions affect sponsorship applications. If you intend to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner fill out our assessment form or contact us for more information. You may also book an appointment for official immigration advice.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Other posts:


“This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor should it be relied upon. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer. If you are looking for official immigration advice contact us.”