The Express Entry visa is an attempt by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) to process immigration applications quickly for qualified skilled applicants.  When you apply under the Express Entry program, you enter a pool of candidates. Each applicant receives some points based on the CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System). IRCC picks those who get the most number of points and processes their applications in as low as six months.

Express Entry Immigration

Express Entry targets the following groups:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program: Those who are highly educated, proficient in English or French, have a few years of work experience and meet other criteria.
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program: Plumbers, welders, and other skilled trades professionals
  • Canadian Experience Class Program: Those who have worked in Canada under certain conditions

The CRS is a 1200 point system that covers the following factors.

  1. Age
  2. Level of education
  3. English and French languages proficiency
  4. Canadian work experience
  5. Spouse qualifications (if applicable)
  6. Skill transferability
  7. Work experience
  8. Arranged employment or nomination by a Canadian province

The first seven factors could generate up to 600 points, and the last factor alone has 600 points. People who have a valid arranged employment or get nominated by a Canadian province normally have a guaranteed chance of selection (assuming they meet the basic criteria and are not inadmissible to Canada).

To verify knowledge of official languages, the candidates need to take acceptable language tests (IELTS General or CELPIP General for the English language and TEF for the French language).

A verified organization must evaluate the candidates’ level of education (e.g. WES or ICAS).

If you intend to immigrate to Canada, fill out our assessment form or contact us for more information. You may also book an appointment for official immigration advice.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Other posts:


“This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor should it be relied upon. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer. If you are looking for official immigration advice contact us.”