How to Move to Canada – Federal Programs


Federal programs for immigration to Canada allow you live and work anywhere in Canada.
Source: Parsai


Canadian Federal GovernmentCanada consists of ten provinces and three territories. A Canadian province is quite similar to an American State. They have their Premiers (similar to State Governors) and legislative bodies. The federal government of Canada is in charge of foreign affairs, the federal budget, and other activities that affect the country as a whole.  Since immigration affects the entire country the primary responsibility of it is on the federal government shoulder. Canadian constitution allows provinces grow their population and economy with the help of immigration. Consequently, there are two primary methods of immigration to Canada – Federal and Provincial. The latter depends on the policies of the federal government.

If an applicant immigrates to Canada under a federal program, they may choose any province or territory of Canada as their destination other than Quebec. The federal government has an agreement with Quebec that delegates all Quebec immigration matters to the Province.

There are different routes to immigrate to Canada under federal programs, namely:

  • Economic immigrants
    • Economic immigrants offer their skills or financial resources to Canada in return for the privilege of permanent residency.
  • Family reunion
  • Other options
    • Canada supports conventional refugees and some other groups of immigrants under special programs.

When you successfully immigrate to Canada under federal programs, you will become a Permanent Resident of Canada. As a permanent resident of Canada, you may live anywhere in Canada. You may also study or work freely. There are certain rules you need to follow to keep your permanent residency status. Permanent residents of Canada may eventually become Canadian citizens if they meet certain criteria.

If you need more information contact us.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Other posts:


“This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor should it be relied upon. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer. If you are looking for official immigration advice contact us.”