Coming to CanadaMany Canadian Permanent Residents or Citizens are willing to sponsor their siblings (brothers and/or sisters) to Canada. Unfortunately this can’t be done for every brother or sister. Under certain circumstances this is possible. First of all the person who would like to sponsor their sibling(s) needs to meet the following conditions:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • be at least  18 years old
  • resides in Canada
  • files the sponsorship application according to the guidelines
  • does not owe the government of Canada or his/her provincial government money or other obligations due to previous sponsorships
  • meets the minimum income requirements

The preceding conditions are necessary but not enough. The following conditions are also need to be in place:

  • The parents of the sponsor are deceased (dead)
  • The siblings are under 18 years of age

If the siblings are 18 years old or more they still can be sponsored if the sponsor is a lonely person (he/she does not have a spouse, a common-law partner, a conjugal partner, a mother or father, or any close relatives in Canada or who could be sponsored to Canada).

These are tough conditions but applicable to some people. If you believe that these conditions apply to you then I recommend discussing your situation with an immigration consultant or lawyer for legal advice. Remember that one of the objectives of the Canadian Immigration law is to bring families together, so it is worth asking. You may qualify.

Sponsorship Evaluation Form

Relevant articles:

  1. Immigration to Canada: Spouse, Conjugal and Common-law Partner definition
  2. Can I sponsor my spouse (husband/wife) to immigrate to Canada?


Copyright and Disclaimer

Sign up to our newsletter

Install our Free toolbar


“This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not provide legal advice nor should it be relied upon. If you have specific legal questions you should consult a lawyer.”