A work permit for dependent children of high-skilled workers

Daniela is a Venezuelan citizen who lives in Canada as a foreign worker. She holds a valid work permit and works as a store manager in Halifax. Moreover, Daniela’s seventeen-year-old daughter lives with her in Canada as a high-school student. She wonders if her daughter could also work in Canada. Of course, Daniela, like many others, has heard of the new public policy that issues a work permit for dependent children of high-skilled workers.

Who is a high-skilled worker in Canada?

Before discussing the work permit for dependent children, let’s discuss who is a high-skilled worker. Canada classifies jobs into different categories under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system. The current categories based on NOC 2021 include the following:

TEEROccupation types
0Management occupations
1Occupations that usually require a university degree
2Occupations that usually require a college diploma, apprenticeship training of 2 or more years, or supervisory occupations
3Occupations that usually require a college diploma, apprenticeship training of fewer than two years, or more than six months of on-the-job training
4Occupations that usually require a high school diploma or several weeks of on-the-job training
5Occupations that usually need short-term work demonstration and no formal education
TEER: Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities

IRCC considers TEER 0, 1, 2, and 3 high-skilled jobs. However, the old NOC system considered Type 0 and Level A and B jobs high-skilled.

A typical dependent child is a single child under 22 years old. Of course, they must be the biological or adopted children of the primary work permit holder. Sometimes older children could also be dependent. However, they must show significant financial dependency on their parents because of mental or physical conditions. Moreover, their dependence must begin before the age of 22 and extend to the time of application. I have another article that explores this matter in detail.

Who qualifies for the dependent child work permit?

The eligibility for this program includes the following criteria. Of course, these could change in the future.

  • You are the dependent child of a high-skilled work permit holder.
  • The primary work permit holder, or rather your parent, must
    • Hold a work permit that is valid for at least six months.
    • Work as a high-skilled worker.
    • Reside in Canada or intend to reside in Canada.
  • You are admissible to Canada.

IRCC will issue an open work permit under IMP C46, which has branched out from the old IMP C41. Moreover, the new policy has not mentioned age restrictions for children. However, in another article, I discuss the minimum age for working in Canada.

Let us help!

If you seek a work permit for your dependent child, please fill out the following form and express your intention. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session with me. To explore your other options, you may fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

    Apr 14, 2024

    Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

    Apr 13, 2024

    Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

    Apr 9, 2024

    CUSMA Work Permit: The T36 Exemption Code for Professionals

    Mar 29, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al ParsaiAl Parsai, LLM, MA, RCIC-IRB
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.