Author: Al Parsai, LL.M, RCIC-IRB
Last Updated On: April 19, 2023

Apply for a visa inside Canada | Inland TRV applications

Unless you are visa-exempt, you need a visa to travel to Canada. People usually apply for a TRV from outside Canada. However, can you apply for a visa inside Canada? Let’s explore inland TRV applications. This article does not apply to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada as they have the right to enter Canada.

What is a TRV?

A TRV is permission to travel to Canada. You usually receive it in the form of a counterfoil in your passport. However, in exceptional situations, a Single Journey Travel Document could also play the role of a TRV. Of course, you could require an eTA instead of a TRV because of any of the following reasons:

US citizens may travel to Canada without a visa. Nonetheless, they may need a work permit or a study permit to work or study in Canada.

Apply for a visa inside Canada as a work or study permit holder

If you are inside Canada, you won’t receive a TRV by applying for a work permit or a study permit. Therefore, you must separately apply for a TRV. Keep in mind that permits allow you to remain in Canada. However, they are not suitable for re-entry. Let’s assume you either qualify for extending your permit or applying for a new one inside Canada. Here are the steps you could consider:

  1. Apply for the work or study permit extension online.
  2. Apply for the TRV online upon receiving the new work permit or study permit.
  3. If IRCC approves your TRV, you may submit your passport to receive the counterfoil.

If you are in maintained status, applying for the TRV when you receive the work or study permit is better. IRCC officers sometimes refuse such applications because they are unsure what could happen to your work or study permit application.

Apply for a visa inside Canada as a visitor.

IRCC does not prevent people from applying for a TRV inside Canada. Therefore, if you are a visitor inside Canada, you may apply for a new TRV online. However, make sure you have valid status in Canada and mention that on your forms. Also, remember that sometimes IRCC cancels or even refuses applications when the temporary resident is only a visitor. It is usually due to the fact, they may suspect, you won’t return to your home country. Consult with a professional for assistance.

If you apply for a Visitor Record inside Canada, you won’t receive a TRV. Consequently, you must apply for a TRV separately. Of course, if your TRV is still valid, applying for a new one is unnecessary.

What if the applicant does not have valid temporary resident status

Sometimes you are inside Canada, but you do not have valid temporary resident status. Here are some examples:

An indication of not having valid temporary status is that you see the following message on your work or study permit:

“does not confer temporary resident status.”

If you face these situations or hold a TRP consult with a professional regarding your options.

Mailing instructions: Collecting the visa counterfoil inside Canada

Upon the TRV approval, you may mail your passport to the following address:

By Canada post (recommended):

Temporary Resident Visa Section
Case Processing Centre – Ottawa
P.O. Box 8780 STN T CSC
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 5A9

NOTE: If you have applied online then use the following address:

Temporary Resident Visa Section
CPC-Ottawa (e-Application)
PO Box 9640
Ottawa, Ontario
K1G 6T2

By private courier:

Temporary Resident Visa Section
Case Processing Centre – Ottawa
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1

NOTE: If you have applied online then use the following address:

Temporary Resident Visa Section
CPC-Ottawa (e-Application)
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1

Of course, these addresses are subject to change, so double-check on the IRCC website. Nonetheless, please consider the following mailing instructions:

  • Place the passport-request letter and the original passport in the envelope.
  • Include a prepaid 24 x 32 cm Xpresspost–National envelope in your package.

You may use a private courier for submitting the package. However, you may not use their return envelope. Therefore, it is better to use Xpresspost both ways. Also, keep in mind that this service is only available to the residents of Canada.

Let us help!

If you have general questions about applying for a visa inside Canada, fill out the following form. However, for official advice, please book a consultation session with me. Alternatively, you may fill out our assessment form to explore other options.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Understanding the Roles of Immigration Practitioners in Canada

    Jul 23, 2024

    Business Visitor Entry Under CUSMA for U.S. and Mexican Citizens

    Jul 21, 2024

    Can You Get Express Entry CRS Points with a Trade Certificate?

    Jul 20, 2024

    Navigating Skilled Trades and Licensing in Canada for Immigration

    Jul 18, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai, LL.M, RCIC-IRB

    Al Parsai is a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University (Osgood Hall Law School). A respected member of CICC, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.