Bridging Open Work Permit in Canada – BOWP

The concept of an open work permit in Canada is exciting. Of course, an open work permit means you may work for any employer. However, not many people qualify for an open work permit. A Bridging Open Work Permit in Canada, also known as BOWP, is one option to qualify.

What is an open work permit?

A foreign national who holds an open work permit may work for any employer. However, open work permits could include restrictive clauses. For example,

  • you may only work in a specific region in Canada,
  • the work could be under certain NOC codes, or
  • you may not work in the healthcare sector or with children.

Of course, this list is neither inclusive nor exclusive. You may also read my article on this subject for more information.

What is a Bridging Open Work Permit?

A BOWP allows you to remain in Canada and work for any employer. Of course, you could qualify for this open work permit if you

You must submit a work permit application in Canada. You must also include all the necessary documents and pay the processing fee (currently $255). Moreover, you may need to pay $85 for biometrics.

Qualifying permanent resident applications for BOWP

The qualifying PR applications for a Bridging Open Work Permit include:

IRCC may accept applications under the Caregiver Pilot Program if they show 24 months or more work experience in Canada. Of course, by Caregiver Pilot, I mean the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot. Regardless, this group may apply if they also meet one of the following requirements:

Of course, the status list only applies to Caregiver Pilot applicants. Consequently, the rest of the applicants must have a valid work permit at the time of application.

The application process for Bridging Open Work Permit

Most in-Canada applicants must submit their work permit applications online. Of course, BOWP is no exception. However, you may apply on paper if you have a disability or another valid reason that prevents you from an online application. The process is similar to a regular work permit application. You create an online application and upload all the files and forms. Of course, you may consider hiring a professional if you don’t know how to do it.

What about the family members?

Sometimes you have family members. Consequently, you could apply for the following:

  • An open work permit for your spouse or common-law partner
  • Visitor records for your minor children
  • A separate study or work permit for dependent adult children

Of course, you must pay the government fees and upload the necessary forms and documents.

Let us help!

If you are in the process of applying for a Bridging Open Work Permit in Canada, you could consider hiring us. Please fill out the following form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Alternatively, you could book a consultation session with me.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)

    Select the service(s) you need (required)

    Do you have a valid status in Canada?

    Do you have family members (i.e. spouse, common-law partner or children?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Related Posts

    The Non-Comparative Approach to Refugee Claims in Canada

    Dec 9, 2023

    Metallo v. Canada 2021 FC: Reshaping Residency Obligation

    Dec 3, 2023

    Understanding Pre-Arrival Letters in Immigration to Canada

    Dec 3, 2023

    Understanding the BC PNP Skilled Worker Stream: A Guide

    Nov 27, 2023

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.