IRCC officers and travel information

Can IRCC officers access to my travel information?

Since 2019 IRCC officers have been able to obtain entry and exit information on travellers through the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) system. The system, known as Entry/Exit Program, is a joint initiative between Canada and the United States, based on the Beyond the Border Action Plan. Moreover, the system has allowed IRCC officers to validate the presence of travellers in and out of Canada. Through Entry/Exit tab in the Global Case Management System (GCMS) IRCC officers can query the CBSA to verify:

In addition, IRCC can query information to assist in an investigation of an individual’s entitlement to a Canadian travel document. Furthermore, it can also ask information to support investigations of possible fraud in relation to immigration, citizenship, and passport/travel document programs. Let’s review how this system was started and how it works.

  1. Background
  2. How does the system work?
  3. Who can access the traveller information?
  4. How IRCC uses Entry/Exit data
  5. Travellers’ rights

Background: Entry/Exit Program

As I mentioned at the beginning, the program was a joint initiative between Canada and the U.S. to share data at the land border. The program’s purpose was to establish a coordinated information system to facilitate the exchange of travellers’ biographic information. For example:

  • given and family names,
  • date of birth,
  • country of birth,
  • country of citizenship, and more.

Furthermore, with the passing of Bill C-21, an Act to amend the Customs Act, the program started to accumulate data on all travellers by land (including Canadian and U.S. citizens) as of July 11, 2019. Of course, the information was collected upon entry at the common land border.

However, on June 25, 2020, regulations for the air mode came into force, allowing the CBSA to begin collecting pre-departure exit information and exit records directly from commercial air carriers. This means that as of June 2020 the information has been available for entries and exits by land and air. However, it is not yet available for marine and rail travel to Canada.

Also, please be aware that under the IRCC–CBSA memorandum of understanding (MOU) the institutions don’t need the client’s consent in order to query traveller entry and exit information. Moreover, IRCC officers are not allowed to disclose entry and exit information unless it is necessary to administer the IRPA and is covered under an information-sharing agreement.

How does the system work?

It is very simple! IRCC officers perform an E/E query through GCMS, then they receive the results automatically. Moreover, it just take between 30 seconds to 2 minutes to transmit the information from CBSA’s systems to IRCC’s. This is because as soon as CBSA enters the data into their systems, the information immediately becomes available. Furthermore, according to IRCC, it is also possible to obtain data and/or run reports on E/E in two ways:

  • submit a request to OPPB
  • reports can be generated using GCMS Answers or Cognos. Of course, this option is only available to authorized GCMS users)

Who can access the traveller information?

Only roles that allow a user to render a decision on an application in GCMS have access to the “Entry/Exit” tab. Check the following table.

GCMS users Authorized CBSA employees
  • manager or team lead
  • visa officer
  • designated immigration officer
  • non-immigrant case analyst
  • assistant
  • immigration program officer
  • CBSA: assistant, case review, hearings, management, Minister’s delegate, and officer
  • migration integrity officer
  • in-Canada assistant
  • local citizenship officer
  • case processing centre service delivery clerk
  • local office clerk, also
  • case processing centre agent or officer
  • border services officers and superintendents
  • criminal investigations officers and analysts
  • document analysts
  • hearings officers and hearings advisors
  • inland enforcement officers and enforcement case officers
  • intelligence officers and intelligence analysts
  • National Border Operations Centre (NBOC) officers, National Security Screening Division officers and analysts
  • National Targeting Centre (NTC) targeting officers
  • NTC targeting operations intelligence, also
  • trusted traveller officers

How does IRCC use information on immigration applications?

– Temporary residence applications

IRCC can request Entry/Exit information for the following application types:

The Entry/Exit data can be used to check whether a foreign national has previously exceeded their authorized period of stay in Canada. The government calls this “overstay monitoring.” It begins when a traveller enters Canada and ends upon their exit. Moreover, if the applicant has overstayed their visit, an “overstay indicator” will appear as a checked box in the GCMS once queried.

Importantly, IRCC expects overstay indicators for temporary residents will begin appearing in Entry/Exit search results in November 2022, once a sufficient number of air carriers are on-boarded.

<<Also read: Deep Dive in the Use of AI for Immigration Processing>>

– Permanent residence applications

Entry/Exit information is available to IRCC for the following permanent residence application types:

For this type of applications, the data can be used to outline the periods of time spent in and outside Canada, and will allow IRCC to see if residence has been maintained. In addition to residency requirements, IRCC may make an Entry/Exit query to investigate misrepresentation, or revocation of Canadian documents. Further, in terms of family sponsorship applications, Entry/Exit data can be used to determine if a sponsor is residing in Canada.

– Citizenship applications

Entry/Exit data can be used in citizenship applications to:

  • verify compliance with physical presence requirements for grants of citizenship;
  • assist in the verification of other requirements, such as, flagging of potential loss of permanent resident status, the need for applicants to submit foreign police certificates, or misrepresentation;
  • verify compliance with physical presence requirements for resumption of citizenship; and
  • assist in cases of revocation of Canadian citizenship.

Travellers have the right to…

Travellers can request a copy of their personal travel history through the Privacy Act. Furthermore, they can also ask for corrections if any of the information is incorrect. In addition, if a traveller has requested a correction to their passage information, IRCC officers are also notified of this correction and are able to re-query the CBSA’s database to obtain the most up-to-date information. For more information on corrections of personal information please visit the CBSA website.

Ask your questions!

If you have a broad question about immigration to Canada, please fill out the following form. Of course, if you have specific questions, book a consultation session. You may alternatively fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    You can also read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    changes to the pre-removal risk assessment PRRA for individuals from Chad

    Canada announces Changes to Pre-Removal Risk Assessment for Individuals from Chad

    Apr 1, 2023

    What circumstances put a removal order on hold in Canada?

    Apr 1, 2023
    Canada's 2023 Budget Unveils Major Boost for Immigration

    Canada’s 2023 Budget Unveils Major Boost for Immigration and Citizenship Processes

    Mar 31, 2023
    Online LMIA Applications

    Navigating the Shift to Online LMIA Applications

    Mar 30, 2023

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira