Can retired people immigrate to Canada?

immigration to Canada for retired people

Lisa, a retired US citizen, wishes to immigrate to Canada. However, she is not sure if any options are available to her. She wonders if retired people can immigrate to Canada.

The nature of immigration options to Canada

Canadian immigration options do not target retired people directly. Nonetheless, any of the following significant options could cover retired people as well:

Family reunification immigration for retired people

In family reunification, a family member sponsors you to Canada. However, that family member must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. Luckily family sponsorship options cover retirees as well. Please visit the following links for more information:

Economic immigration for retired people

Economic immigration occurs when a person moves to Canada and can sustain themselves financially. Of course, this entails not receiving social assistance when living in Canada. Unless you want to return to the workforce, economic immigration is not a good option for you as a retiree. However, the immigration options are open to most age groups, with some exceptions. So if you genuinely intend to return to the workforce, click here for more information.

Immigration as a refugee for retired people

The Canadian refugee program is entirely independent of age. Therefore, read the following options to see if you qualify.

If you are a US citizen, your chance of a successful refugee claim is slim. Consequently, consult with a professional before deciding. Remember that you could face significant consequences if you file a refugee claim and withdraw. I do not deal with refugee resettlement, but I can help you with claims inside Canada.

Temporary to permanent immigration options

Sometimes you could move to Canada to study or work. You may later qualify for immigration. However, choosing these options means you need to go back to school or return to the workforce.

Let us help!

As a retiree who wishes to immigrate to Canada, you could consider hiring me. I have represented thousands of people in their immigration applications to Canada. Please fill out our assessment form or book a consultation session with me. You may also fill out the following form to contact us.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Related Posts

    work permits for family members of temporary foreign workers

    Canada is extending work permits to family members of temporary workers

    Dec 5, 2022
    Know the province with the highest net loss due to interprovincial migration in Canada

    Know the province with the highest net loss due to interprovincial migration in Canada

    Dec 4, 2022

    IELTS for entrepreneur work permits, IMP C11, C10, and C12

    Dec 3, 2022
    Canada leads the G7 for the most educated workforce

    Canada leads G7 nations in post-secondary degree holders

    Dec 3, 2022

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?