Canada improved the super visa program for parents and grandparents
Today, the Minister of Immigration announced major improvements to Canada’s super visa program. These changes, which come into force on July 4, 2022, will:
- Increase the length of stay for super visa holders to 5 years per entry into Canada.
- Moreover, people who have a super visa also have the option to request to extend their stay by up to 2 years while in Canada. This means super visa holders will now be able to stay in Canada for up to 7 consecutive years.
- Canada’s Immigration Minister will also have the authority to designate international medical insurance companies to provide coverage to Super Visa applicants in the future. Currently, only Canadian insurance providers can provide the necessary medical coverage that super visa applicants are required to have. Of course, IRCC will share information about medical insurance companies located outside of Canada in the following weeks.
The changes will make it easier for Canadians to reunite with their parents and grandparents, said the Minister of Immigration. “Families are at the heart of Canadian society. The enhancements to the super visa program allow family members to reunite for longer in Canada, which helps everyday Canadian citizens and permanent residents succeed and contribute to society…”
What is a super visa?
It’s a visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. Since 2011, Canadian citizens and permanent residents have been able to reunite with their parents and grandparents in Canada through this visa program. Moreover, parents and grandparents can remain in Canada for 2 years at a time. However, as we mentioned above, this will change on July 4th, 2022.
Who is eligible for a super visa?
To be eligible for a super visa, you must:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes:
- a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
- the list and number of people in the household of this person
- a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
- valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry and has at least $100,000 coverage. Also, you should have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted). But, remember, this requirement will change on July 4, 2022.
You must also:
- apply for a super visa from outside Canada
- be allowed to enter Canada
- take an immigration medical exam
- meet certain other conditions
You can’t include dependants in this application.
Let us help!
We could help with your applications. Fill out the following form, and we will get back to you as quickly as possible. Alternatively, you may fill out our assessment form for other immigration options, or book a consultation session with Al Parsai.
Read this in Spanish
Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!
This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.
The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.