Canada passport destination

Canada passport holders can now enter 186 destinations

According to the Henley Passport Index 2023, Canada is currently the eighth-ranked most powerful passport in the world. Moreover, Canada passport holders can enter a total of 186 destinations, either without a visa, through a visa on arrival, or via an eTA.

The Henley Passport Index is one the most authoritative ranking of all the world’s passports. The firm has been regularly monitoring the world’s most travel-friendly passports since 2006. Moreover, its index is based on data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA). It includes 199 passports and 227 travel destinations. Let’s explore this ranking!

Please note this research process is ongoing throughout the year. The information provided in this article reflects the Henley Passport Index ranking on January 19, 2023.

The most powerful passports in the world

The following ranking of a passport is based on the total number of destinations that the holder can access visa-free.

RankPassportVisa-free score
1Japan, Singapore193
2South Korea192
3Germany, Spain 191
4Finland, Italy, Luxembourg190
5Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden 189
6France, Ireland, Portugal United Kingdom188
7Belgium, Czech Republic, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, United States 187
8Australia, Canada, Greece, Malta 186
9Hungary, Poland 185
10Lithuania, Slovakia184

The top-ranking Japanese passport gives visa-free access to 193 destinations (85% of the world). By contrast, at the bottom of the ranking was the Afghanistan passport. It provides visa-free access to only 12% of the world and less than 1% of global economic output.

Canada’s Historial Ranking

It is important to mention that for some months, in 2022, Canada ranked 7th in most powerful passports of the world.

Canada: free access destinations


Middle East






Note: *visa on arrival, **eTA.  Source: Henley Global

How to get a Canadian passport?

Generally speaking, you only qualify for a passport if you are a Canadian Citizen. However, convention refugees and protected persons in Canada may be eligible for a Travel Document. You can read more about this in the following article:

Let us help!

If you wish to apply for a passport, you do not need to hire a consultant. However, if you have other questions about immigration to Canada, please fill out the following form. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. For other immigration and visa options, please fill out our free assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

    Apr 14, 2024

    Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

    Apr 13, 2024

    Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

    Apr 9, 2024

    CUSMA Work Permit: The T36 Exemption Code for Professionals

    Mar 29, 2024

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira