PGWP extension how to apply

Canada’s PGWP Extension Applications Now Open

For applications on or after Feb 15, 2024, click here!

Starting today, April 6, 2023, some international graduates with recently expired or expiring post-graduation work permits (PGWPs) will have the following options:

  • They can choose to opt-in for a simplified process to extend their work permit.
  • They can apply for an extension of their work permit.
  • They can apply to restore their status and obtain a new work permit.

Typically, PGWPs cannot be extended, meaning that those who wish to continue working in Canada are required to apply for a different type of work permit. However, in 2021 and 2022, new public policies were put in place. The policies provided opportunities for an additional work permit for those whose PGWPs were about to expire. In addition, on March 17, 2023, the Honorable Sean Fraser, announced that some current and former post-graduation work permit (PGWP) holders will be eligible for an additional open work permit of 18 months. 

Let’s explore who is eligible for this permit and how to apply.

Who can apply for this measure?

The 18-month work permit extension will be available to:

Moreover, those with expired work permits will be able to restore their status, even if they are beyond the 90-day restoration period. They will receive an interim work authorization while awaiting processing of their new work permit application. This will allow them to continue working legally in Canada.

How to apply for this permit?

IRCC’s website notes that if you qualify for the simplified process, you will receive an email from an email address ending in or Therefore:

  1. Check your inbox (including the spam folder) for messages from an email address that ends in or
  2. Check the conditions in the letter and make sure they apply to you:
    • You reside in Canada.
    • The mailing address on the letter is correct.
    • Your passport information is up to date and has an expiration date of June 2025 or later.
  3. Log in to your IRCC secure account and select Post-graduation work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (up to an additional 18 months). You also have to select opt-in to stay and work in Canada for up to an additional 18 months.

However, if you don’t have an IRCC secure account, you need to register for one and link your most recent PGWP application to your account. IRCC also notes that eligible candidates must take action before May 20, 2023, and apply before their work permit expires.

How long it will take to get the work permit

According to IRCC, you should get your work permit at your mailing address by the end of June 2023.

If you don’t meet the criteria for the simplified process

In the event that you do not meet the criteria for the simplified process, IRCC says you can still submit an application for a work permit. For more information about how to apply in this scenario, please visit IRCC’s website.

Important Facts

  • International graduates are an essential source of potential permanent residents in Canada, with tens of thousands successfully obtaining permanent residence each year.
  • Approximately 127,000 PGWPs are set to expire in 2023.
  • New data from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) showed that Canada broke a record by welcoming over 550,000 new international students in 2022. Moreover, as of December 31st, 2022, there were 807,750 international students holding valid study permits. 
  • India, China, and the Philippines were the top three sources of international students coming to Canada in 2022.
  • At the end of 2022, there were over 286,000 international graduates in Canada holding a valid post-graduation work permit.

Help for International graduates!

For Post Graduate Work Permits or other international student or graduate options, fill out the following form. Alternatively, please book a consultation session. If you are not an international student or graduate in Canada, fill out our assessment form for other immigration options in Canada.

    Do you hold a valid study permit?

    Do you hold a valid work permit?

    How old are you? (required)

    Have you taken an English or French test?

    How knowledgeable are you in English or French languages (pick the language that you are more fluent)

    What is the highest level of studies you have completed outside Canada?

    Which level of studies have you completed inside Canada?

    Do you have accompanying family members (spouse, common-law partner, or dependant children)?

    Are you facing inadmissibility problems or a removal order?

    What do you expect to achieve?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    A Comprehensive Guide to Low-Wage LMIA in Canada (2024)

    Jun 10, 2024

    Open Work Permits for Vulnerable Workers OWP-V: A CIMM View

    Jun 9, 2024

    Comparing the U.S. INA and Canada’s IRPA: Immigration Laws

    Jun 8, 2024

    Join Al Parsai in Calgary and Edmonton!

    Jun 3, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al ParsaiAl Parsai, LLM, MA, RCIC-IRB
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira