measures for travellers

Current border measures for travellers entering or returning to Canada

On October 12, 2021, the U.S. announced that in November, they will allow fully vaccinated travellers from Canada to enter the U.S. at land and ferry points of entry. However, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminded the population that border measures for travellers remain in place. Passengers entering or returning to Canada must know and understand their obligations as they make their travel plans.

“Travellers should check if they are eligible to enter Canada and meet all entry requirements before heading to the border.” said the CBSA on October 14th.

Here we’ll share with you all the resources that Canada has for travellers, in addition to the up-to-date travel advisory.

Up-to-Date Travel Advisory

  • Fully vaccinated travellers coming to Canada:

These travellers must complete the mandatory pre-arrival COVID-19 test and submit their mandatory information. This includes digital proof of vaccination in English or French. Of course, travellers must use the free ArriveCAN (App or website) within 72 hours before arriving in Canada.

Please be aware that antigen tests, often called “rapid tests”, are not accepted. Also, fully vaccinated travellers who are eligible to enter Canada continue to be subject to mandatory random testing on arrival.

  • For short trips – less than 72 hours: 

People from Canada, who are travelling to the United States, can take their pre-arrival molecular test before they leave Canada. Of course, this applies only if you are travelling for less than 72 hours. If your test is more than 72 hours old (when re-enter Canada) you must get a new pre-arrival test in the United States.

  • Unvaccinated/partially vaccinated travellers eligible to enter Canada: 

These travellers must continue to follow pre-arrival, arrival, and Day-8 molecular COVID-19 testing requirements, and quarantine for 14 days.

  • Future vaccination requirements:

Effective October 30th, the following Canadian passengers and travellers will have to be fully vaccinated in order to board:

  • Air passengers flying on domestic, transborder or international flights departing from airports in Canada,
  • Rail passengers on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains,
  • Marine passengers on non-essential passenger vessels, such as cruise ships, on voyages of 24 hours or more.

Resources for travellers

Ask your questions!

If you have a broad question about immigration to Canada, please fill out the following form. Of course, if you have specific questions, book a consultation session. You may alternatively fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    international students are

    International students are experiencing higher wages than before

    Dec 5, 2021
    Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot

    IRCC opens the second phase of the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot

    Dec 4, 2021

    Apply for a visa inside Canada | Inland TRV applications

    Dec 3, 2021
    job vacancies

    The sectors with the most job vacancies in Canada

    Dec 3, 2021

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira

    Do you have any questions?