Is Duolingo Test Accepted for Canada PR or Study Permit

The concept of Duolingo goes back to immigration and study permit applications in Canada. Many Canadian immigration options require taking an official language test. Even if the program does not mandate a test, presenting good language test results could assist you with the process. However, IRCC only accepted the following tests before the coronavirus pandemic:

  • CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program  (Only CELPIP General! Don’t take General-LS)
  • IELTS: International English Language Testing System (Take the IELTS General test. Don’t take IELTS Academic)
  • TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français
  • TCF Canada: Test de connaissance du français

The first two tests evaluate your knowledge of English. Of course, the other two focus on the French language.

What is the Duolingo English Test?

Duolingo is an online English proficiency test. The focus of this test is more academic studies. Since the coronavirus pandemic, many IELTS and TOEFL test centres could not run the tests. Consequently, Duolingo became popular. According to the Duolingo website, about 150 Canadian institutions accept this test for admission purposes.

What is the IELTS equivalency of Duolingo?

Duolingo and IELTS look like two tests from two different planets. However, the Duolingo website offers the following comparison table between these tests.

Duolingo IELTS Academic
10 1.5
15 2
20-25 2.5
30-40 3
45-50 3.5
55-60 4
65-70 4.5
75-80 5
85-90 5.5
95-100 6
105-110 6.5
115-120 7
125-130 7.5
135-140 8
145-150 8.5
155-160 9

There is no official equivalency table available for IELTS General versus Duolingo.

Using Duolingo for Canadian PR (permanent resident) applications

Despite the obstacles toward taking an IELTS General or other acceptable tests, IRCC does not accept Duolingo or any other online language tests for Canadian PR. Thus, if a language test is mandatory for your method of immigration, you need to take any of those four tests I already introduced at the beginning of this article.

Using Duolingo for a Study Permit

Generally speaking, there are two options for a study permit application:

If you are applying under the SDS program, you have only to take one of the approved tests. Unfortunately, Duolingo is not an option.

Luckily, the regular stream or application at a POE does not mandate taking a language test. Therefore, you could use Duolingo for admission purposes. Of course, it won’t hurt if you present the test results to IRCC. You may also read the following article for more information:

What does IRCC say about Duolingo?

IRCC, in a recent tweet, announced they do not accept Duolingo.

Let us help!

Whether you have taken Duolingo or another test for a study permit in Canada, fill out the following form. Of course, we will review it and if find an opportunity we will contact you. If you intend to immigrate, fill out the assessment form or book a consultation session with me.

    How old is the student (required)

    Has the student taken an English or French test?

    How knowledgeable the student is in English or French languages (one language is enough)

    Has the student evaluated their educational credentials in Canada?

    How much money the student has to support their living expenses and tuition in Canada for the first year of studies in Canada?

    At which level do you wish to study?

    Does the student have accompanying family members?

    Do you have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institute?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Relevant article: TOEFL for Canadian immigration | TOEFL vs IELTS and CLB

    Related Posts

    Canada passport destination

    Canada passport holders can now enter 186 destinations

    Feb 8, 2023
    Changes to the Immigration Appeal Division Rules

    Changes to the Immigration Appeal Division Rules

    Feb 7, 2023
    open work permit program for Hong Kong residents

    Canada extended the open work permit program for Hong Kong residents

    Feb 6, 2023
    IRCC Processing Times February 2023

    The Latest IRCC Processing Times: February 2023

    Feb 5, 2023

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?