Economic Immigration Canada

Annalena is a business analyst from Liechtenstein. She holds a bachelor’s degree. Annalena has been working for a business consulting firm for the past ten years. She is 32 years old. Annalena speaks German, English, and French languages fluently.  Her net worth is $600,000. Annalena is wondering if she could move to Canada permanently. She has heard about economic immigration to Canada but has no idea what this phrase means.

You may like to know, Canada offers three routes for immigration, namely:

  • Family reunification for people who are sponsored by their family members to Canada (practitioners see subsection 12(1) of IRPA)
  • Economic immigration for applicants who may economically establish themselves in Canada without the use of social assistance program (practitioners see subsection 12(2) of IRPA)
  • Refugees for convention refugees and those who need protection (practitioners see subsection 12(3) of IRPA)

The majority of immigrants move to Canada under economic immigration programs. We may divide these immigrants into the following major groups.

  • Federal Economic Immigrants
  • Quebec-selected Skilled Workers and Business
  • Provincial/Territorial Nominees

Federal Economic Immigrants

Federal options are for those who intend to settle anywhere in Canada but Quebec. The subcategories of federal economic immigration methods include:

  • Express Entry – This is an online system of applying for immigration to Canada that covers three streams of immigration:
  • Federal Self-employed Class – Despite its generic name, this method is limited to self-employed people under the following categories only.
  • Start-up Visa – If you have an innovative idea and receive support from certain organizations in Canada, you may immigrate to Canada under this program.
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot – If you receive a valid job offer from an employer located in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Endward Island, or Newfoundland and Labrador, you may immigrate to Canada. Since this is a pilot program, the government may stop it at any time.
  • Caregivers – If you have worked as a caregiver for minor children or people with high medical needs, you may later apply for permanent residency under this program. The applicants usually work for two years or more with a valid work permit and eventually file for permanent residency.

You may like to know, IRCC regularly reviews these options, and they may add more options, remove some of the existing ones, or make changes to them.

Quebec-selected Skilled Workers and Business

Quebec has a broad agreement with the federal government of Canada. Under this agreement, also known as Canada–Québec Accord, Quebec’s government has a high level of freedom regarding immigration to their province. Quebec is mostly interested in the immigration of Francophone (French-speaking) individuals.

Provincial/Territorial Nominees

Under section 95 of the Canadian Constitution Act 1867, provinces may pass and implement laws to control immigrants’ influx to their province. All Canadian provinces and territories except for Nunavut have special programs for immigration to their province. A typical Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) consists of two stages.

  • Selection by the province or territory and receiving a Certificate of Nomination
  • Approval by the federal government and securing the permanent residency

The federal government looks into two significant areas before issuing the permanent residency: The applicant’s ability to establish themselves in Canada economically and their admissibility to our country.  If you want to know more about PNP programs, read the following article:


Related Posts

measures for travellers

Current border measures for travellers entering or returning to Canada

Oct 17, 2021
British Columbia

Latest rounds of invitations: British Columbia, Manitoba, Alberta, and more

Oct 16, 2021
Air Canada India

Air Canada announced a strategic expansion of its India services

Oct 15, 2021
Canada invited candidates

Express Entry: Canada invited 681 PNP candidates in new draw

Oct 14, 2021

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches immigration courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?