How to Move to Canada – Federal Programs

Canadian Federal GovernmentCanada consists of ten provinces and three territories. A Canadian province is quite similar to an American State. They have their Premiers (similar to State Governors) and legislative bodies. The federal government of Canada is in charge of foreign affairs, the federal budget, and other activities that affect the country as a whole.  Since immigration affects the entire country the primary responsibility of it is on the federal government shoulder. Canadian constitution allows provinces grow their population and economy with the help of immigration. Consequently, there are two primary methods of immigration to Canada – Federal and Provincial. The latter depends on the policies of the federal government.

If an applicant immigrates to Canada under a federal program, they may choose any province or territory of Canada as their destination other than Quebec. The federal government has an agreement with Quebec that delegates all Quebec immigration matters to the Province.

There are different routes to immigrate to Canada under federal programs, namely:

  • Economic immigrants
    • Economic immigrants offer their skills or financial resources to Canada in return for the privilege of permanent residency.
  • Family reunion
  • Other options
    • Canada supports conventional refugees and some other groups of immigrants under special programs.

When you successfully immigrate to Canada under federal programs, you will become a Permanent Resident of Canada. As a permanent resident of Canada, you may live anywhere in Canada. You may also study or work freely. There are certain rules you need to follow to keep your permanent residency status. Permanent residents of Canada may eventually become Canadian citizens if they meet certain criteria.

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review the form for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada


This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not give legal advice. Do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. We cannot be held responsible for the content of these articles. If you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. If you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment. All the characters in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Any resemblance in names, dates, and places (whether individuals, organizations, regions, or countries) is coincidental.

Related Posts

Can international students quit their studies in Canada?

Apr 19, 2021

IRCC accepts 90,000 immigrants from temporary residents in Canada

Apr 15, 2021

Criminality versus serious criminality in immigration to Canada

Apr 13, 2021

Dependent type A B C in immigration to Canada

Apr 11, 2021

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches the official immigration consulting courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al who holds a Masters degree from Yorkville University is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented hundreds of applicants from more than 30 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?