Federal Skilled Worker Program – Point System

Mateo is a Colombian architect. He holds a Master’s degree from an American accredited university. He knows English very well and a little bit of French. Mateo is 48 years old. He is married to his wife, Luciana. His wife holds a Bachelor’s degree in graphic design. Luciana’s sister, who is a Canadian citizen, lives in Ottawa, Ontario. Mateo has worked full-time for a well-respected Colombian construction company in the past ten years. He wonders if he qualifies for immigration to Canada. He is especially concerned about his age. 

If you apply for immigration to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) candidate, you need to meet both the minimum requirements and the minimum necessary points. For more information about the minimum requirements read the following article:

The minimum point is 67 out of 100 possible points. You may like to know; these points are divided into six factors:

  1. Knowledge of official Canadian languages (i.e. English and French) – up to 28 points
  2. Education credentials – up to 25 points
  3. Work experience – up to 15 points
  4. Age of the principal applicant – up to 12 points
  5. A valid job offer in Canada (arranged employment) – up to 10 points
  6. Adaptability – up to 10 points

Knowledge of Official Canadian Languages

Canada has two official languages; French and English. You need to be familiar with at least one of them. You also need to take a good language test to prove your ability to an immigration officer. Consider the following:

  • If you know one official language, you will receive a maximum of 24 points.
  • For the second official language, you could receive up to 4 more points.
  • The points are based on each of the four language abilities (i.e. speaking, listening, reading, and writing). The overall score is not essential.
  • The only approved English tests are CELPIP and IELTS General.
  • The only approved French tests are TEF Canada and TCF Canada.
  • IRCC may change the acceptable tests and scoring system from time to time

Education Credentials

If you completed your education outside Canada, you need to provide an acceptable Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to the IRCC. The maximum number of points for education is 25.

Work Experience

The following list shows the breakdown of points for work experience.  Your experience needs to be equivalent to a full-time job in the past ten years. Only work experience in a NOC 0, A, or B job is acceptable.

  • Six years or more – 15 points
  • Four to five years – 13 points
  • Two to three years – 11 points
  • One year – 9 points

Age of the Principal Applicant

You may receive up to 12 points for age, based on the following table.

Age Points
18-35 12
36 11
37 10
38 9
39 8
40 7
41 6
42 5
43 4
44 3
45 2
46 1
Under 18 0
47 and older 0


A Valid Job Offer in Canada (Arranged Employment)

As a general rule, the job offer needs to be accompanied by an LMIA (exceptions apply). It also needs to meet the following:

  • A NOC 0, A, or B job
  • A full-time job for at least one year
  • You can do the job and, if necessary, get all the required licenses.

If you receive a valid job offer, you will be exempt from the minimum unencumbered funds. You also receive 10 points.

Read the following articles for more information:


Adaptability offers you a maximum of 10 points. You may receive points under the following subcategories. PA refers to the Principal Applicant in the following list.

  • PA’s spouse or partner’s language level (the equivalent of CLB 4 or higher) – 5 points
  • PA’s past studies in Canada (at least two years of full-time secondary or post-secondary studies) – 5 points
  • PA’s spouse or partner’s past studies in Canada (at least two years of full-time secondary or post-secondary studies) – 5 points
  • PA’s past work in Canada (at least one-year full time in NOC type 0 or level A or B with a valid work permit) – 5 points
  • PA’s spouse or common-law partner’s past work in Canada – 5 points
  • PA’s valid job offer to Canada (arranged employment) – 5 points (on top of the ten independent points you receive because of this job offer)
  • Relatives in Canada (either the PA or the spouse or common-law partner of the PA) – 5 points

Relatives must currently be living in Canada. They have to be Canadian citizens or permanent residents. They also need to be at least 18 years old. Acceptable relatives include the following concerning the PA or PA’s spouse or common-law partner:

  • children or grandchildren
  • parents or grandparents
  • siblings (brothers or sisters)
  • nephews or nieces
  • uncles or aunts (by marriage or blood)

Federal Skilled Worker Program & Express Entry

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is managed under the Express Entry system since January 2015. For more information, read the following articles.


Related Posts

Can I work as an ESL student in Canada?

Mar 4, 2021

Exemptions from mandatory quarantine in Canada

Mar 2, 2021

Comparing high-wage and low-wage LMIA

Feb 28, 2021

Case type codes on Canadian work permit documents

Feb 27, 2021

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches the official immigration consulting courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al who holds a Masters degree from Yorkville University is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented hundreds of applicants from more than 30 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.