Getting a Canadian Passport

The Canadian passport is one of the strongest passports in the world. According to the Henley passport index, you could use a Canadian passport to travel to 185 destinations globally with no or limited nuisance. Of course, this number could change. Regardless, Canada is currently the ninth most powerful passport in the world. Let’s explore how you could receive a Canadian passport.

The Canadian passport for Canadian citizens

Canadian citizens may request a Canadian passport. However, the department may refuse to issue a passport if the applicant

  • is not a Canadian citizen,
  • fails to fill out the forms appropriately or present necessary documents,
  • has allowed another person to use their passport in the past,
  • provides misleading or false information on their application,
  • has committed a criminal offence outside Canada, which is also an indictable offence in Canada,
  • has an indictable criminal conviction inside Canada,
  • is currently in prison, and court prevents them from leaving Canada,
  • faces a court order that prevents them from owning a passport,
  • has a passport conviction under Section 57 of the Criminal Code in Canada or its equivalent outside Canada,
  • owes money to the Crown related to repatriation to Canada or other consular financial assistance.

Of course, these conditions could change at any time. Also, the department may refuse to issue the passport on the following grounds:

  • The applicant’s current passport is still valid. However, they usually give you a new passport if your current passport is about to expire.
  • The department believes when holding a passport, the applicant may travel abroad and commit a crime.
  • It is in a child’s best interest not to receive a passport and remain in Canada.

I tried to simplify these lists. Therefore, use them as broad guidelines only. Alternatively, you may visit the IRCC website for official policies.

Canadian passports for non-Canadians

Generally speaking, you only qualify for a passport if you are a Canadian Citizen. However, convention refugees and protected persons in Canada may be eligible for a Travel Document. A typical refugee travel document resembles a Canadian passport. Nonetheless, your nationality remains intact. Also, you may still need to apply for visas according to your original nationality. Moreover, the Canadian government expects you not to travel to your home country or where you are seeking protection.

The cost and validity

The following list shows the cost of receiving a Canadian passport. Of course, these figures that are in the Canadian dollar could change at any point in time:

  • Regular fees:
    • $120 for a 5-year adult passport (age 16 or over)
    • $160 for a 10-year adult passport (age 16 or over)
    • $57 for a Child passport (0 to 15 years of age)
  • Expedited services fees (available only in person and on top of the regular fees)
    • $110 for urgent pickup (by the end of the next business day)
    • $50 for express pickup (within 2 to 9 business days)
    • $20 for standard pickup (on or after ten business days)
  • Service fees ($45 each)
    • An additional administrative fee for replacing a valid lost or stolen passport
    • A true certified copy of one page of a passport (1 to 3 copies)
    • File transfer to a different passport office in Canada

Adults could apply for five or 10-year passports. However, the validity of children’s passports varies based on their age.

How to apply for a Canadian passport

To apply for a Canadian passport, visit the IRCC website and follow the instructions.

Travel documents for protected persons

Protected persons do not qualify for a Canadian passport. However, they may apply for travel documents.

Let us help!

If you wish to apply for a passport, you do not need to hire a consultant. However, if you need help, fill out the following form. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session with me. For other immigration and visa options, please fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Relevant articles:

    Related Posts

    Immigration Agencies in the US and Canada: A Comparison

    May 18, 2024

    Innovation Stream Pilot Work Permit in Canada – IMP C88

    May 16, 2024

    Comparing the Standard of Proof in Canada and the United States

    May 12, 2024

    Updated IMP Codes for Intra-Company Transferees (ICT)

    May 11, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.