How long can I stay in Canada?

Canadian citizens and Registered Indians may remain in Canada indefinitely. However, permanent residents and foreign nationals face limitations. This article is an effort to explain how long a non-citizen may stay in Canada. I have tried to be as comprehensive as possible. However, it is impossible to cover everything in one short article.

How long may a permanent resident stay in Canada?

A permanent resident may remain in Canada indefinitely by default. However, some situations could shorten their duration of stay:

  • They must remain in Canada for at least 40% of the time. More specifically, they must spend at least 730 days out of each five-year duration in Canada. However, some exceptions apply. If a PR does not meet the residency obligation, they could face a removal order.
  • Permanent residents could become inadmissible to Canada in certain situations. Here are some examples:
    • Security grounds (e.g., espionage or terrorism)
    • Human rights violations
    • Serious criminality
    • Organized criminality (e.g., being a member of a criminal gang)
    • Misrepresentation
    • Non-compliance with the Immigration Act (e.g., not meeting the residency obligation)

An inadmissible permanent resident could receive an enforceable removal order. Consequently, they may not stay in Canada.

How long may a work permit holder remain in Canada?

The rule of thumb says a work permit holder may remain in Canada up to the expiry date of their permit. However, they could also lose this privilege due to the following issues.

  • An immigration officer revokes the work permit because of a Ministerial Instruction under a public policy, namely:
    • ESDC has revoked the LMIA associated with the work permit
    • The officer believes hiring an IMP work permit holder has significant adverse effects on the labour market
    • The employer has submitted misleading, false, or inaccurate information
    • ESDC has added the employer to the list of ineligible employers
    • The work permit is because of a family member, but the authorities have revoked the work permit of that family member (except for IMP-C41)
  • The foreign worker is facing an enforceable removal order

Of course, if you are approaching the expiry date of your work permit, you could apply for a renewal. While waiting for the decision, you may remain and work in Canada. Nonetheless, please read my article on this subject for more information:

As a worker, you have alternative options to stay in Canada:

Of course, you must meet the requirements of each type of application. Moreover, the submission time for each application is essential.

How long may a study permit holder stay in Canada?

You may not remain in Canada if you lose your study permit. Regrettably, any of the following incidents makes your study permit void:

  • The expiration date of the study permit
  • Ninety days have passed since you completed your studies
  • You receive an enforceable removal order

Let’s say your study permit expires on August 15th. However, you finish your studies on April 1st. Then you lose your study permit 90 days after April 1st because it occurs before the expiry date of your study permit. Alternatively, if you finish your studies on August 1st, you lose your study permit on August 15th because the expiry date reaches sooner.

A study permit holder may extend their stay via specific activities. For example,

Of course, the devil is in the details. For example, you must submit the temporary resident applications before the expiry of the study permit. Otherwise, you have to apply for a restoration of the status or a TRP.

How long may a visitor remain in Canada?

A typical visitor may stay in Canada for up to six months. However, exceptions apply:

  • Super Visa holders may usually stay in Canada for up to two years.
  • The Border Services Officer may add a specific expiry date for your visit in your passport. Of course, this date could deviate significantly from the typical six-month stay.
  • If you receive a visitor record, you must comply with the expiry date on the document.
  • An enforceable removal order nullifies the expiration date of your stay. Consequently, you must leave Canada.

You could extend your stay via certain activities. Here are some examples:

  • Submitting a visitor record application before the expiry of your current stay
  • Applying for a work permit or a study permit if you qualify
  • Becoming a permanent resident of Canada

I don’t go into the details of each of these possibilities. However, you may book an appointment with me to explore your options.

How long may a protected person remain in Canada?

Unless they receive an enforceable removal order, protected persons may stay in Canada indefinitely. Nonetheless, if they need to travel outside Canada, they usually must apply for a refugee travel document. Moreover, most protected people may apply for a PR status and eventually citizenship.

How long may a refugee claimant stay in Canada?

Refugee claimants may remain in Canada until they receive an enforceable removal order. However, they could become protected if the authorities approve their claim. They also lose the privilege of staying in Canada should they leave the country prematurely. Unfortunately, a change of status is not an option for a refugee claimant as they do not hold legal status in Canada. However, the following exceptions could apply:

Canada hardly ever offers amnesty to refugee claimants.

Other issues to consider

If you do not have legal status in Canada, you must leave Canada immediately. For example, overstaying in Canada falls under this recommendation. If you do not comply, you could face a removal order and even detention under the Immigration Act.

Removal orders are nerve-wracking, but sometimes you could fight them and remain in Canada. Here are some examples:

A TRP application does not put a removal order on hold. However, if they approve the application, you may legally stay in Canada. Moreover, sometimes CBSA cannot remove a person from Canada (e.g., lack of identity documents). In these situations, the person may remain in Canada without legal status.

Let us help!

If you face an immigration issue or want to stay in Canada, fill out the following form. Alternatively, please book an appointment with me. Of course, you may fill out our assessment form to explore your options.

    Full Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number(optional)

    Are you inadmissible to Canada?

    YesNoI don't know

    Have you received a removal order from Canada?

    Yes, DepartureYes, ExclusionYes, DeportationYes, type unknownNoI don't know

    Any other issues (select all that apply)?

    Do you believe humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to you?

    YesNoI don't know

    Please explain the issue briefly:

    Upload a file that could help us better understand your situation - only PDF, JPG or PNG and less than 0.5MB

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Are Canadian citizens admissible to Canada?

    Sep 17, 2023

    Foreign record suspensions and Canadian admissibility

    Sep 7, 2023

    OINP Foreign Worker Stream with an Employer Job Offer

    Sep 6, 2023

    Inadmissibility in Canada: Who’s at Risk?

    Sep 4, 2023

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.