How to apply to the new open work permit

How to apply to the new TR to PR open work permit

Read this article in Spanish

This month, the government of Canada announced a new open work permit for those who applied for the recent TR to PR Pathway. Here we’ll tell you how essential workers and international students can apply for this new permit.

About the TR to PR Pathway

The TR to PR Pathway was opened on May 6 to health care workers (cap 20,000), essential workers (cap 30,000|already reached), and international students (cap 40,0000|already reached). Thanks to the new open work permit, those who have applied for the programs will not have to worry about their status expiring.

Who qualifies for this one-time open work permit?

Principal applicants in Canada must meet 5 requirements:

1. Residency: you must live in Canada.

2. Application for a TR to PR pathway: you have successfully submitted an application under one of the temporary resident to permanent resident pathways.

And you received one of the following:

  • An email from IRCC confirming that you’ve successfully submitted your permanent residence (PR) application.
  •  The letter the Client Support Centre gave you when you requested an alternative format application (such as a paper copy, Braille, or large print)

3. Authorized to work: when you applied for the PR pathway, you were legally authorized to work with 1 of the following:

  • a valid work permit
  • an authorization to work without a work permit
  • an authorization to work under any public policy

4. Language requirements: you met the language requirements for the pathway you’re applying for.

5. Immigration status: when you apply for your work permit, you must either:

  • have valid temporary resident status
  • have applied to extend your status before it expired (“maintained status”)
  • be eligible to restore your status

As you can see, people can apply if they already had temporary residence documents in Canada. This means a work permit or study permit.

When you can apply?

According to IRCC, if you have a valid work permit you can apply up to 4 months before your current work permit expires. Your family members can apply at any time if any of the following apply:

  • you’ve maintained your status
  • you’re eligible to restore your status
  • you’re a spouse/common-law partner or a dependent child of a principal applicant for the PR pathway

How to apply?

The only way to apply is online. If you can’t apply online, for a disability, or because of your internet connection, IRCC also offers an option to accept paper applications.

Step 1. Get everything you need

To apply online you need a scanner or a camera. You will also need your debit or credit card available to pay the feeds. Further, in order to view IRCC’s instructions to fill out the forms, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader downloaded on your computer.

Step 2. Pay your fees

You will need to pay the $155 work permit extension fee on the government website. Because you are exempt from paying the $100 open work permit holder fee, you have to pay before applying online.

Step 3. Create your online account or sign in

In order to start applying, you need an account with IRCC. You can use this account to submit your application forms and check your status.

Once you are signed in, you need to go to the “Start your application” section on the account welcome page. Then click “Apply to come to Canada.” After that, scroll down to the “I do not have a personal reference code” section. Click on the “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit” button. Finally, on the next page, select “work.”

Step 4. Get document checklist

Once your account is created, you will then have to answer some questions in order to get a personalized document checklist.

  • You would like to work temporarily—more than 6 months.
  • Workers and students must select “Worker” when asked What is your current immigration status in Canada?
    For students, this is a temporary measure while we update the application system.

When you are asked which scenario applies to you, choose “I am applying for an open work permit under an active public policy or pilot program announced by IRCC.”

Then you will be asked “There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees are are you fee exempt?” Answer “No, I am exempt from paying fees for the application.” Even though you have already paid your $155 fee, you are exempt from paying the open work permit holder fee.

Step 5. Fill out the forms

Read the instruction guide before you complete your application. Once you get your document checklist, fill out the application form and supporting documents.

One of the required documents will be the IMM 5710 form, called “Application to Change Conditions or Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker.”

In the “Details of Intended Work in Canada” section, under Box 1 select “Open Work Permit.” Then in Box 4, enter “TRPR pathway PP OWP” in the Job Title box. Then in the “Brief description of duties” box, enter the name of the PR stream you applied for. For example, “Public policy for foreign nationals in Canada with recent Canadian work experience in essential occupations.”

For “Duration of expected employment,” you can ask for an end date that is no later than December 21, 2022. However, you cannot ask for a date beyond the expiry of your passport.

Step 6. Upload the correct documents

For principal applicants, some of the documents you need include a copy of your fees receipt, some sort of proof that you were working legally when you applied (like a work permit), proof of language test result, copy of your passport, a digital photo and a Family Information Form.

You may also need a medical exam, or other documents such as a marriage certificate, or birth certificates for any accompanying family members.

Family members in Canada will have their own document checklist. Among the documents will be the Generic Application form for Canada known as IMM 0008. This form must show the family member’s name as listed in the principal applicant’s application. It can be uploaded under “Client Information.”

After applying

After you apply, an immigration officer will eventually review your application. They will check your employer’s compliance history to make sure they are not ineligible. Also, that you qualify for the work permit.

If they determine your application is incomplete, they will return it without processing it. They may also ask you to send more information.

However, if you are eligible they will mail the work permit to the Canadian address you gave them. The work permit will specify the type of work you can do, the employer you can work for, where you can work, and how long you can work.

If you need more resources, please visit the temporary public policies posted on Canada’s website.

Let us help!

If you believe you meet the requirements for the TR to PR Pathway, please fill out the following form. Of course, we will contact you as soon as we can. However, depending on your situation, you might fill out our assessment form or book a consultation session.

Error: Contact form not found.

Related Posts

Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) in 2024 – IMP C43

Feb 19, 2024

Choosing the proper English test for Canada: IELTS, CELPIP, PTE

Feb 16, 2024

Do I Need a Study Permit for ESL (English) Courses in Canada?

Feb 11, 2024

In-Group and Out-Group Dynamics in Canadian Immigration

Feb 10, 2024

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

Important Notes:
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

Click to read the disclaimer.

Andrea Neira