Immigrate to British Columbia after graduation International Students

Immigrate to British Columbia after graduation – International Students

Many international students want to make their temporary stay in British Columbia (B.C.) permanent. But, is this possible? Fortunately, yes! there are several options for getting work permits and permanent residence in Canada. However, this article will focus only on the options to immigrate to B.C. after graduation.

Post-graduate work permit

If you have recently graduated from a post-secondary school in British Columbia, you may be eligible to get a post-graduate work permit (PGWP).  Please, notice that the Canadian work experience you gain with the PGWP is very important. It may count towards your application for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class or the BC Provincial Nominee Program.

If you’re not eligible for a PGWP, you may still be eligible to work in Canada after you graduate.

BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)

The BC PNP offers a pathway to permanent residence for international graduates, skilled and semi-skilled workers. But, remember, this article will focus on the categories designed to target international students. These categories are:

  • International Graduate: recent graduates with a degree or diploma from a Canadian college or university. Management occupations (grouped under skill type 0 in the NOC) are not eligible under this category. For this category, you need to:
    • submit your registration to the BC PNP within three years of graduation
    • have a job that is classified as NOC Skill Level A (excluding Skill Type 0) or Skill Level B, as classified under the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
    • your employer must meet the Employer Requirements. For example, your employer must generate economic benefits for British Columbia. It also needs to have a valid business licence. Moreover, it must complete and sign the Employer Declaration Form.
  • International Post-Graduate: recent graduates with a master’s or doctorate degree from an eligible program at a post-secondary institution in B.C. Note that for this category only, a job offer is not required. You also must:
    • need to submit your application to the BC PNP within three years of graduation,
    • in addition, you must demonstrate that you have the ability and intent to live, work and economically establish in B.C.


This initiative gives in-demand foreign workers and international students a pathway to permanent residence. In order to apply for this pathway, students must have job offers in one of 29 eligible occupations in British Columbia. The job offer must be for a minimum of 1 year, and there must be at least 120 days remaining at the time of application.

If you are invited to apply, you have up to 30 calendar days from the date of invitation to submit a completed online application. If approved, you will receive a nomination certificate (confirmation of nomination) that you can use to apply for permanent residence with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada under the Provincial Nominee Class.

The Express Entry BC (EEBC) Option

If you are in the federal Express Entry pool and you also meet the criteria for the international graduate categories mentioned above, you may be eligible to use the BC PNP’s Express Entry BC (EEBC) option. Why is this option important? Simply because if nominated using the EEBC option, your federal Express Entry Profile will benefit from:

  • Additional CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) points.
  • Also, your application for permanent residence will receive fast processing offered through Express Entry.

If you are interested in applying to the BC PNP using the EEBC option, you need to meet the minimum criteria for both:

  • the international graduate categories,
  • as well as one of the eligible federal economic immigration programs listed below.

Moreover, if your EEBC application is approved, your nomination will allow you to apply for permanent residence through IRCC’s Express Entry system.

<<Also read: Immigration to British Columbia>>

Interested in these options? Contact us!

If you believe you meet the requirements for a British Columbia option, you may fill out the following form. Of course, if you have specific questions about your case, please book an appointment. You can also fill out our free assessment form.

    Do you hold a valid study permit?

    Do you hold a valid work permit?

    How old are you? (required)

    Have you taken an English or French test?

    How knowledgeable are you in English or French languages (pick the language that you are more fluent)

    What is the highest level of studies you have completed outside Canada?

    Which level of studies have you completed inside Canada?

    Do you have accompanying family members (spouse, common-law partner, or dependant children)?

    Are you facing inadmissibility problems or a removal order?

    What do you expect to achieve?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Grounds for Persecution under IRPA: Refugee Claims in Canada

    Feb 25, 2024

    Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) in 2024 – IMP C43

    Feb 19, 2024

    Choosing the proper English test for Canada: IELTS, CELPIP, PTE

    Feb 16, 2024

    Do I Need a Study Permit for ESL (English) Courses in Canada?

    Feb 11, 2024

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira