IMP job offers in Canada | Work without LMIA

IMP stands for International Mobility Program. The program covers work permits that are exempt from an LMIA. Of course, LMIA is the labour department’s approval letter you could receive for a job offer in Canada. The process of LMIA is costly, time-consuming, and prone to refusals. Therefore, an IMP job offer could save the employer money and time. It also could enhance the success rate. However, how is it possible to get IMP job offers in Canada and work without an LMIA?

IMP, an alternative to LMIA

About two-thirds of work permits in Canada are IMP-based. The exemption from an LMIA could be because of any of the following reasons:

  1. Public policies: The Minister could issue public policies to exempt certain people from an LMIA. Of course, such policies mostly rely on humanitarian issues and the political climate.
  2. International agreements or arrangements: Canada has signed many Free Trade Agreements (FTA). Some of these agreements are with one country only (e.g., Canada-Chile FTA and Canada-Colombia FTA), and some are group agreements (e.g., CUSMA, CETA, and CUKTCA). Moreover, the Federal Government signs IMP agreements with Canadian provinces from time to time. Regardless, these agreements usually include a labour movement component. Consequently, you could receive an IMP job offer.
  3. Canadian interests: Some positive economic activities could result in IMP job offers. For example, work permits for entrepreneurs (IMP C11) and intra-company transferees (IMP C12). However, particular work permits under this category are open work permits (e.g., IMP C41 and C42).
  4. No other means of support: Refugee claimants and people under unenforceable removal orders could benefit from this option.
  5. Permanent residence applicants in Canada: Protected persons, inland spousal applicants, phase-2 H&C requests, and family members could benefit from this option. However, there is no need for a job offer. IRCC will issue the successful applicants open work permits.
  6. Vulnerable workers: IRCC initiated this category to protect vulnerable workers and their family members in Canada. However, the work permit is not employer-based.
  7. Humanitarian reasons: Destitute students and certain TRP holders could receive open work permits under this program.

What is the process of an IMP job offer?

If you qualify for an IMP work permit, the Canadian employer may issue an IMP job offer. The process consists of the following steps:

  1. The employer signs up for an account on the IRCC Employer Portal.
  2. The employer logs it to their account.
  3. They create a job offer on the portal.

  4. Upon completing the job offer, they pay the $230 compliance fee.

Upon paying the compliance fee, the employer receives an “Offer of employment number.” I call this number the A#. Of course, this naming is because the code begins with the letter A.

You need to receive the compliance fee payment receipt and this A# to submit your work permit application. Of course, you also need to include the A# in the work permit application form (i.e., IMM 1295 or IMM 5710).

Is an IMP job offer enough to secure a work permit?

The simple answer is no. IRCC officers will issue the work permit only if you meet the requirements of section 200 of IRPR. This section focuses on issues such as the validity of the request and the likelihood you won’t remain in Canada without authorization. Moreover, the officer makes sure you are admissible to Canada.

Let us help!

We have extensive experience in work permit applications. However, we are not a recruitment agency, so don’t expect us to find a job offer for you. Nonetheless, we can help employers in pursuing LMIA or IMP job offers. We also assist employees in applying for a work permit. Consequently, please book a consultation session with me to explore your options. Also, if you intend to get an IMP job offer by establishing a business in Canada, please fill out the following form.

    How many years of work experience do you have as a business owner or senior manager in the past five years?

    The highest level of education

    How much do you intent to invest (in Canadian dollars):

    Do you have access to liquid assets for this investment?

    Your knowledge of the English language:

    Your knowledge of the French language:

    Have you ever travelled to Canada?

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Immigration Agencies in the US and Canada: A Comparison

    May 18, 2024

    Innovation Stream Pilot Work Permit in Canada – IMP C88

    May 16, 2024

    Comparing the Standard of Proof in Canada and the United States

    May 12, 2024

    Updated IMP Codes for Intra-Company Transferees (ICT)

    May 11, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.