travel restrictions

Important Update: Canada extends travel restrictions to July 21

Today, June 18, the Canadian government confirmed it is extending travel restrictions for another month. A phased reopening plan will be announced on Monday.

The minister of public safety, Bill Blair, confirmed the news via Twitter. In the tweet he mentioned the country is extending travel restrictions on non-essential international travel until July 21st, 2021.

Blair also said the government is planning measures for fully vaccinated Canadians, and others who are currently exempt from the restrictions, to enter Canada. More information will become available on Monday.

travel restrictions

Image: @BillBlair twitter account

As of today, the list of exempt travellers includes permanent residents, Canadian citizens, work permit holders, some international students, and some approved permanent residents.

<<Read more: Canada travel restrictions: Uniting with a temporary resident>>

There has been much discussion about travel restrictions, however, last week the government announced that it was prepared to relax quarantine protocols for fully vaccinated citizens in early July.

“We are looking forward to getting back to normal as quickly as possible,” said Trudeau during a Friday morning virtual news conference from Rideau Cottage. “But we’re not out of this pandemic yet, we’re still seeing cases across the country and we want to get them down.”

During today’s update focused on vaccines and the federal government’s response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Trudeau stressed that they are sticking with the principle of “doing everything necessary to keep Canadians safe even as we move forward on loosening restrictions in a responsible way”.

In the past Trudeau said that it would take 75 per cent of Canadians with their first dose and 20 per cent of Canadians with two doses before restrictions can be lifted.

Currently, 61% of all Canadians have had at least one dose of the vaccine, according to the government’s vaccination dashboard.

travel restrictions


Let us help!

If you have general questions about how to travel to Canada, fill out the following form. Otherwise, please book a consultation session or fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    <<Read this article in Spanish>>

    Related Posts

    How to apply to the new open work permit

    How to apply to the new TR to PR open work permit

    Jul 31, 2021
    international students

    International students and travel to Canada

    Jul 30, 2021
    immigration in Canada

    What does the future of immigration in Canada looks like?

    Jul 29, 2021

    Ontario invited 1,031 EE candidates in 18 specific occupations

    Jul 28, 2021

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira

    Do you have any questions?