Inland vs. Outside Canada spousal sponsorship

If your spouse or common-law partner lives with you in Canada, then you have two options to sponsor them. However, you must know the differences before deciding which one to choose. This article compares Inland and Outside Canada spousal sponsorship options.

What are inland and outside Canada spousal sponsorship options?

The following articles explain these two options in detail:

The rest of this article assumes you are familiar with the basics. Of course, my recommendation is to read those articles first.

Comparing inland and outside Canada, spousal sponsorship options

Key issues Inland Spousal Applications Outside Canada Spousal Applications
Who is the sponsor? A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
Who is the applicant? A foreign national who is an eligible spouse or common-law partner A foreign national who is an eligible spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
Residency requirements for the applicant Must reside in Canada and co-habit with the sponsor May reside anywhere in this world. Co-habitation is not mandatory but helpful.
Application for an open work permit in Canada Eligible  Not eligible
Right to Appeal Not eligible Eligible
Processing time It could vary but mostly between 9 and 18 months. It could vary but mostly between 9 and 18 months.

Which option to choose

If your spouse or common-law partner lives in Canada with you, you may choose either inland or outside Canada spousal options. Of course, you cannot choose both. Also, consider the limitations mentioned in the table. If your spouse or common-law partner lives outside Canada or doesn’t cohabit with you, your only option is the outside Canada sponsorship. For conjugal partners, your only option is an outside Canada sponsorship application. Of course, you may consult with a professional to better explore your options.

Let us help!

If you want us to help you with the process of sponsoring your spouse (both inland and outside Canada spousal sponsorship), please fill out the following form:

    Full name (required)

    Email address(required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp Number (Optional)

    Spousal Sponsorship Applications

    Is the sponsor eligible to sponsor his or her spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner?
    NoYesI don't know

    Is the applicant (the foreign national) is an eligible spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner?
    NoYesI don't know

    Are you willing to hire an immigration consultant to help you with your sponsorship application?
    NoYesI don't know

    Please provide more explanation below:

    Related Posts

    international students are

    International students are experiencing higher wages than before

    Dec 5, 2021
    Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot

    IRCC opens the second phase of the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot

    Dec 4, 2021

    Apply for a visa inside Canada | Inland TRV applications

    Dec 3, 2021
    job vacancies

    The sectors with the most job vacancies in Canada

    Dec 3, 2021

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches immigration courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?