international students

International students and travel to Canada

Read this article in Spanish

The fall semester is approaching, and Canada wants to remind international students what they need to do to come to this country.

So far IRCC has introduced a variety of temporary policy changes, including measures to study online from abroad and other temporary policy changes. However, the health and safety of Canadians and those who wish to study here remain a priority. That is why the Government shared a guide for international students who are travelling to Canada.

Who can enter Canada to study?

According to IRCC, If you are coming as an international student, you need to:

You can also have a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit.

It is also important to check if restrictions are in place for your country. For example, Canada suspended flights from India until August 21, 2021. Restrictions like this one can affect your ability to travel.

What do you need to enter Canada?

  • You must have a quarantine plan

International students must have a 14-day quarantine plan in case they don’t meet all of the conditions to be exempt from quarantine. So, even if you believe you meet the criteria, you still need a plan.

Remember! The final decision on who gets to enter Canada rests with the border official.

You should be in contact with your designated learning institution for assistance in developing quarantine plans.

Be aware that DLIs have a COVID-19 readiness plan. The plan should indicate how they will manage the quarantine period for international students. This includes arrangements for transportation to the students’ quarantine location and for access to food and medications during their quarantine.

Also, you need to submit information in ArriveCAN before entering Canada. This information might include contact & travel information, 14-day travel history, quarantine plan, confirmation of a negative pre-entry test (or positive test taken 14-90 days prior to travel), proof of vaccination, and COVID-19 symptom self-assessment.

Fully vaccinated travellers

To be considered fully vaccinated, you need to have the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine—or combination of vaccines—, at least 14 days prior to entering Canada. Currently, the vaccines approved by Health Canada are Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Johnson & Johnson.

The list of accepted vaccines may expand in the future as evidence becomes available. But, for now, Canada is only accepting the vaccines mentioned.

Also, you must still meet the pre-entry and on-arrival testing requirements, including being tested within 72 hours pre-departure.

Upcoming changes

You can find all this information here: Everything about Canada’s Borders Opening.

If you are not an international student but would like to know the general steps to travel to Canada, please read this guide for travellers entering Canada during COVID-19

Stay up to date

International students should monitor Canada’s website for the latest developments and follow their school’s guidance. You can also subscribe to our immigration news section to receive updated content about the world of immigration in Canada.

Interested in travelling to Canada?

If you have general questions about how to travel to Canada, fill out the following form. Otherwise, please book a consultation session or fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    Related Posts

    The Express Entry process in Canada

    Aug 7, 2022
    The sectors with the most job vacancies in Canada

    Canada’s health care sector reached a record high of 136,800 job vacancies

    Aug 7, 2022
    The future of Canada’s immigration system

    The future of Canada’s immigration system

    Aug 6, 2022
    IRCC Processing Times

    The Latest IRCC Processing Times: August 2022

    Aug 5, 2022

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira

    Do you have any questions?