studies online from outside Canada

International students can pursue their studies online from outside Canada, until August 2023

After consultation with provinces/territories and education stakeholders, IRCC decided to extend its distance learning measures. International students can now pursue their studies online from outside Canada while remaining eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), until August 31, 2023. “But they are being reduced in scope,” said the institution.

As we transition back to pre-pandemic requirements, we encourage international students to come back to Canada. A transition period is available for those who may need some time to do so.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada – August 25, 2022 – Ottawa

International students studying online from abroad or who submit a study permit application no later than August 31, 2022, are allowed to complete up to 100% of their program online without affecting their PGWP eligibility. However, study time completed from abroad starting on September 1, 2023, will be deducted from the length of their PGWP. This, regardless of when a student began their studies.

About the transition period for distance learning measures

According to IRCC, the extension of temporary distance learning measures will affect those starting programs from September 1, 2022, to August 31, 2023. Specifically, these measures will apply:

  • No more than 50% of the credits earned can be completed outside Canada to remain eligible for a PGWP.
  • Studies completed online (outside Canada) starting on September 1, 2023, will be deducted from the length of a future PGWP.

Some study permit applications won’t be processed on time

Although the Canadian government will prioritize study permit applications, some international students may not have their applications processed on time. Therefore, they won’t be able to begin their studies in person for the fall 2022 intake period.

According to IRCC, responding to humanitarian crises and updating aging technology have led to processing delays and longer wait times.

Source: IRCC

In 2021, IRCC finalized almost 560,000 study permit applications, surpassing its previous record from 2019 by 31%. IRCC is already outpacing that number in 2022, with almost 360,000 study permits finalized between January 1 and July 31, 2022, compared to about 306,000 finalized in the same period in 2021. However, at the end of July, about 54% of applications in IRCC inventories were considered in the backlog. 

Other measures for International Students

  • International students will be allowed work off-Campus over 20 hours

From November 15, 2022 until December 31, 2023, international students who are in Canada and have off-campus work authorization on their study permit will be allowed to work over 20 hours per week off-campus while class is in session. There is no limit on maximum number of hours that a student can work. However, the Minister emphasized that study permit holders are still expected to balance their study and work commitments. More Info.

International students with expiring post-graduation work permits (PGWPs) between September 20th, 2021 and December 31, 2022, can now apply for an additional open work permit of 18 months. Also, those currently in Canada will have the ability to work in the interim period while they wait for their permits. More info.

  • International Students in private Quebec colleges won’t be eligible for PGWP

Graduates of unsubsidized private learning institutions in Quebec won’t be able to access the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) starting September 1, 2023. According to the federal government, the measure is intended to protect the integrity of the international student program in Quebec. Moreover, the measure aligns the PGWP eligibility rules for Quebec with those in effect in other provinces. More Info.

Help for International graduates!

For Post Graduate Work Permits or other international student or graduate options, fill out the following form. Alternatively, please book a consultation session. If you are not an international student or graduate in Canada, fill out our assessment form.

    Do you hold a valid study permit?

    Do you hold a valid work permit?

    How old are you? (required)

    Have you taken an English or French test?

    How knowledgeable are you in English or French languages (pick the language that you are more fluent)

    What is the highest level of studies you have completed outside Canada?

    Which level of studies have you completed inside Canada?

    Do you have accompanying family members (spouse, common-law partner, or dependant children)?

    Are you facing inadmissibility problems or a removal order?

    What do you expect to achieve?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    A Comprehensive Guide to Low-Wage LMIA in Canada (2024)

    Jun 10, 2024

    Open Work Permits for Vulnerable Workers OWP-V: A CIMM View

    Jun 9, 2024

    Comparing the U.S. INA and Canada’s IRPA: Immigration Laws

    Jun 8, 2024

    Join Al Parsai in Calgary and Edmonton!

    Jun 3, 2024

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira