IRCC introduces an extended open work permit for international students

According to an announcement by IRCC, they are offering a new open work permit to international students. Of course, the new work permit covers students who have held or holding a PGWP. Consequently, the new extended open work permit will allow international students to remain and work in Canada for another 18 months.

What is a PGWP?

Before discussing the new extended open work permit for international students, let’s cover some basics. PGWP stands for Post Graduate Work Permit. It is an open-work-permit for recently-graduated international students. Of course, you must meet individual requirements, for example:

  • You were a full-time student at a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
  • The school is eligible for PGWP (e.g. a university or a community college).
  • Your studies finished less than 180 days ago.
  • The duration of the studies was at least eight months.
  • You held a valid study permit while studying.
  • You didn’t hold a PGWP in the past.
  • Regardless, you did not receive a Global Affairs Canada (GAC) or some similar scholarship.

Of course, this list is not inclusive. If you want to know more, read my article on PGWP.

How could international students benefit from the extended open work permit?

According to the IRCC announcement, you may apply for the extended open work permit if you meet the following criteria:

Of course, if IRCC approves you, then you will receive a new open-work permit. Consequently, you may remain in Canada for up to 18 more months. As a result, you may seek employment and eventually qualify for an immigration option in Canada.

Note: This program will end on July 27, 2021.

Let us help!

If you qualify for this program, fill out the following form. Of course, you may contact us for any other immigration-related matter. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Related Posts

    parents and grandparent

    IRCC sent out the invitations to sponsor parents and grandparents. What to do now?

    Sep 23, 2021
    U.S. land border

    The U.S. land border will remain closed for Canada and Mexico

    Sep 22, 2021
    Foreign Worker and International Students

    Ontario invites Foreign Worker and International Students

    Sep 21, 2021
    Liberal government

    What will the Liberal Party of Canada do about immigration?

    Sep 21, 2021

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Toronto, Canada. He also teaches immigration courses at Ashton College in Vancouver, Canada. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of ICCRC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?