Is CERB social assistance?

CERB is an abbreviation for Canada Emergency Response Benefit. Of course, CERB refers to a $2000 monthly payment that the Canadian government offered in 2020. The payment covered people who had lost their jobs or faced furlough due to the economic downturn of COVID-19. However, can we consider CERB as social assistance?

What is social assistance?

Before answering if CERB is social assistance, we need to know what social assistance is. Of course, our best reference is the immigration law. According to section 2 of IRPR:

Social assistance means any benefit in the form of money, goods or services provided to or on behalf of a person by a province under a program of social assistance, including a program of social assistance designated by a province to provide for basic requirements, including food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health care, including dental care and eye care.

Referring to this definition, social assistance is usually a provincial initiative. Of course, it covers the necessities of people in need.

Social assistance and sponsorship applications

A person who sponsors their family members to Canada under the family reunification programs must meet certain requirements. One of the key requirements is that the sponsor must be financially sound. Consequently, under paragraph 133(1)(k) of IRPR, the sponsor cannot be in “in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability.” As you can see, if you receive social assistance, you may not sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, children, parents or other relatives to Canada. However, for more details on other conditions, consider reading the following articles:

CERB is not social assistance

The good news is that CERB is not social assistance. Therefore, it won’t make you ineligible to sponsor your loved ones. However, you need to meet the rest of the requirements (income, age, clean record, etc.).

Is CERB income?

Although CERB is not social assistance, it is a taxable income. In other words, you have to report it as income to CRA when filing your taxes. Consequently, it could increase your year 2020 gross income and help you sponsor your family members. For example, see the following article for the income requirements in sponsoring your parents or grandparents (PGP).

Other benefits that are not social assistance

You may like to know on top of CERB; the following benefits are also not social assistance but taxable income:

Ask your questions

If you have an immigration-related question, fill out the following form. Of course, I’ll do my best to answer general questions under the Q&A category. A general question is like the one that I answered here (i.e. Is CERB social assistance?). However, if the question is case-specific, I’ll advise you to book a consultation session.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    Related Posts

    A Comprehensive Guide to Low-Wage LMIA in Canada (2024)

    Jun 10, 2024

    Open Work Permits for Vulnerable Workers OWP-V: A CIMM View

    Jun 9, 2024

    Comparing the U.S. INA and Canada’s IRPA: Immigration Laws

    Jun 8, 2024

    Join Al Parsai in Calgary and Edmonton!

    Jun 3, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Read more about disclaimer

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.