Learning the English language in Canada

Canada enjoys two rich official languages: French and English. About two-thirds of Canadians consider English as their language. Therefore, Canada is a perfect country for learning the English language.

Learning the English language for the newcomers

If you are a newcomer to Canada, you could qualify for LINC. Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada or LINC is a free English learning opportunity in Canada for newcomers. Of course, to qualify, you must meet specific criteria, including being:

Nonetheless, you are not a newcomer if you are:

If you qualify for LINC, you may even receive free childcare and transportation tickets. However, these perks depend on the policies of where you live in Canada. While LINC may not be quite useful, newcomers may choose alternative options. For example, ESL programs and English training at colleges and universities. Nonetheless, some of these options are not free.

Learning English in Canada for foreign nationals

You may travel to Canada to learn English. Of course, you have two options:

Independent ESL

Sometimes you travel to Canada, to learn the English language and then return to your home country. Therefore, you usually spend a few weeks in Canada, take some courses and go back home. Consequently, if the program’s duration is less than six months, you do not need a study permit. However, depending on your nationality, you may need to apply for an eTA or a TRV. Of course, this type of ESL cannot be part of a certificate, degree or diploma program. For example, you may not register for a Bachelor of Arts in English literature with this approach. Generally speaking, degree programs call for a study permit.

Prerequisite ESL

When you sign up for a college or university program, they usually ask for language test results (e.g. IELTS or Duolingo). However, sometimes you do not have the test results ready, or your test results are not acceptable. Therefore, you may learn English at the same institution as part of your education. In other words, you attend ESL courses for a while and then move on to regular classes. The approval of such a process depends on the college or university. In these situations, you must apply for a study permit. Of course, the institution must be a DLI. If IRCC approves your study permit, you may travel to Canada and start learning English.

Ask your questions

If you have general questions, such as how to learn the English language in Canada, please fill out the following form. We will get back to you as soon as we can. However, if your questions are specific to your case, you may consider booking a consultation session with me.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    Related Posts

    Understanding Refugee Cessation in Canada

    Jun 17, 2024

    Comparing US and Canada Immigration Options

    Jun 15, 2024

    Does Canadian Citizenship Cancel Refugee Status?

    Jun 14, 2024

    A Comprehensive Guide to Low-Wage LMIA in Canada (2024)

    Jun 10, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.