Losing the maintained status in Canada | No more implied status

Sometimes temporary residents apply for an extension or change of their status. They must submit the new application before the expiry of their current status. Consequently, they maintain their old status until an officer decides on their new application. We call this situation a maintained status, formerly implied status. However, there are circumstances when you lose your maintained status. Let’s explore them.

What is a maintained status in Canada?

You have a maintained status in Canada if you meet all the following requirements:

  • You are currently inside Canada.
  • When you applied to extend or change your status, your previous status was still valid.
  • An officer has not approved or refused your current application.

IRCC used to call a maintained status an implied status. However, they changed the wording in 2021.

Late submissions

If you submit your request after the expiry of your status, you won’t have a maintained status anymore. Nonetheless, you have 90 days from the date of losing the legal status to file for restoration of status. If the 90-day window passes, you must leave Canada or seek alternative options, such as Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).

Losing a maintained status

You may lose your maintained status under one of the following circumstances:

Consider the following, though:

  • If the officer refuses your new application before the expiry date of your old status, you still have status in Canada. However, you need to take one of the following actions:
  • Sometimes the officer refuses your new application after the expiry date of the previous status. Consequently, you have one of the following options.
  • Approval of your application replaces the old legal status with the new one. Of course, if you request an extension of the status, the new and old status remains the same.

Maintained status when submitting concurrent applications

Sometimes you may submit two applications to extend or change your status. For example, you apply for extending your study permit before its expiry. However, you submit a second application because you have applied for work permit. In these situations, you keep your maintained status until the officers decide on both applications. If they refuse both, you lose your status on the day they refuse the second application (the one they process later).

Let us help!

If you face any immigration problems, such as confusion about a maintained status, fill out the following form. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session with me. For immigration to Canada, please fill out our assessment form.

    Welcome! We're here to help you with your immigration concerns. Please provide some initial information to help us understand your situation and guide you better. Your journey towards resolving immigration issues begins here.

    Personal Information

    Full Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Confirm Email (required)

    WhatsApp number (optional)

    Immigration Concerns

    Are you inadmissible to Canada?

    YesNoI don't know

    Have you received a removal order from Canada?

    Yes, DepartureYes, ExclusionYes, DeportationYes, type unknownNoI don't know

    Any other issues (select all that apply)?

    Do you believe humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to you?

    YesNoI don't know

    Please explain the issue briefly:

    Additional Resources

    Upload a file that could help us better understand your situation - only PDF, JPG or PNG and less than 0.5MB. Examples of helpful documents include: refusal letters, other correspondence from immigration authorities, etc.

    Your Next Step

    If you prefer to discuss your situation directly, you can book a consultation session with Al Parsai. Please note that the consultation is not free. By submitting this form, you're taking the first step towards receiving professional guidance on your immigration journey. We will review your information and advise if it is best to book a consultation with him.

    We take your privacy seriously. Your information will only be used to assess your situation and to contact you.

    Client Testimonials

    We are proud to have a rating of 4.8/5 based on tens of reviews. Here's what one of many of our satisfied clients had to say about our services:

    A testimonial by a satisfied consultation client.

    You can find more reviews by searching for "Parsai Immigration Services" on Google.

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) in 2024 – IMP C43

    Feb 19, 2024

    Choosing the proper English test for Canada: IELTS, CELPIP, PTE

    Feb 16, 2024

    Do I Need a Study Permit for ESL (English) Courses in Canada?

    Feb 11, 2024

    In-Group and Out-Group Dynamics in Canadian Immigration

    Feb 10, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.