Can I move out of the province after PNP?

If you intend to settle in a specific province of Canada, then you choose PNP. Of course, PNP stands for Provincial Nominee Program. Unlike Federal immigration options, PNP targets a specific province in Canada. Consequently, when you immigrate under PNP, you promise the province you intend to reside there and no other place in Canada. However, you may ask, “Can I move out of province after PNP?”

Table of contents

Understanding the concept of PNP

When immigrating to Canada, you could pick any of the following options. Of course, you must meet the requirements:

  • Federal – your destination is anywhere in Canada but Quebec.
  • Quebec – you intend to reside in Quebec.
  • PNP – you intend to reside in a province or territory that offers PNP programs

I have separated Quebec from other provinces. Of course, this is because of a special agreement between Quebec and the Federal government. Under this agreement, Federal immigration excludes Quebec.

PNP immigration covers any province or territory of Canada other than Quebec and Nunavut. Read the following article for more information:

Your promise and the PNP expectations

When immigrating under a PNP program, you need to consider the following:

  • Provincial authorities expect you to reside in their province and contribute to their economy.
  • You sometimes sign a Performance Agreement letter. Thus, you promise the province you intend to reside there and fulfill certain obligations. Of course, the name of the letter could be different in different provinces.
  • Sometimes, you must post a Good Faith Deposit. Of course, the deposit is a significant amount that you lose if you leave the province without fulfilling certain promises to them.

As you can see, one can conclude that there is no way out of the province. However, keep reading to get the whole picture.

Protection under the Constitution Act

Under subsection 6(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982,

Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

By reading this section, you will realize that you may live and work anywhere in Canada as soon as you become a permanent resident of Canada. Of course, there is no law above the Constitution Act. In other words, no Canadian province may pass a law to prevent its residents from leaving the province. Can we then conclude you may move out of the province despite a PNP immigration? Keep reading!

Misrepresentation allegations

If you apply under PNP, but you intend to move out of the province, you are committing misrepresentation. Of course, if you are not familiar with the concept, read the following article:

Not every PNP immigrant who moves out of the province is misrepresenting. Sometimes, there are legitimate reasons for the decision. For example, you can’t secure a job in the province, and you have no choice but to move out to make a living. However, if the province suspects you have misrepresented, they could ask IRCC to revoke your permanent resident status. However, the burden of proof is on IRCC to show you actually misrepresented.

Ask your questions

If you have an immigration-related question, fill out the following form. Of course, I’ll do my best to answer general questions under the Q&A category. A general question is like the one I answered here (i.e. Can I move out of province after PNP?). However, if the question is case-specific, I’ll advise you to book a consultation session.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    Related Posts

    Understanding the BC PNP Skilled Worker Stream: A Guide

    Nov 27, 2023

    Crafting Refugee Claim Narratives: Your Guide & Template

    Nov 25, 2023

    RCIC Competency with Co-counselling and Peer Review

    Nov 21, 2023

    PR Pathway for Ukrainians with Family in Canada

    Nov 19, 2023

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.