Moving to Canada as a refugee in 2021

There are three ways to immigrate to Canada. Of course, the most popular option is economic immigration. However, you may also immigrate to Canada via family reunification and refugee programs. If you are considering moving to Canada as a refugee in 2021, continue reading this article. Otherwise, click here.

The intention of refugee programs

Before packing your belongings for moving to Canada as a refugee in 2021, consider the following:

  • Canadian refugee system is to protect the vulnerable, not to compromise the immigration system.
  • Whatever you say or submit during the process remains in the immigration system for several years.
  • Needless to say, misrepresentation could result in inadmissibility to Canada and even fines and jail time.

Generally speaking, Canadians do not appreciate those people who abuse our immigration system. Therefore, take this route only if you believe you qualify.

Refugee resettlement

According to the official report by IRCC, Canada accepted 30,087 resettled refugees in 2019. Of course, resettled refugees are those that leave their country and seek help from UNHCR. Consequently, IRCC accepts some of them and resettle them to our country. Read the following article for more information:

IRCC intends to accept 36,000 resettled refugees in 2021. Of course, this is a 20% increase compared to 2019. However, the increase is mostly because of the disruption in resettling refugees in Canada in 2020. Regardless, moving to Canada as a resettled refugee in 2021 will be much better than the past two years.

Protected people and refugee claims inside Canada

A total of 18,443 protected people became permanent residents in 2019. Of course, most of these people filed for asylum inside Canada. Moreover, this figure covers the family members of asylum seekers as well. Read the following article for more information:

Of course, sometimes people become protected through other routes, such as PRRA or the Ministerial Relief. If you consider moving to Canada as a refugee in 2021 by filing for asylum, you must go through the tedious and time-consuming process. Regardless, IRCC will grant permanent residence to 25,000 protected people in 2021.

Let us help!

If you are currently inside Canada and intend to file for refugee status, click here and fill out the form. Of course, if your intention is not to move to Canada as a refugee in 2021, fill out our assessment form. Alternatively, you could book a consultation session with me for official advice.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Of course, you may click here to explore other options.

    Related Posts

    Immigration Agencies in the US and Canada: A Comparison

    May 18, 2024

    Innovation Stream Pilot Work Permit in Canada – IMP C88

    May 16, 2024

    Comparing the Standard of Proof in Canada and the United States

    May 12, 2024

    Updated IMP Codes for Intra-Company Transferees (ICT)

    May 11, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.