NOC 2021and immigration or work permit in Canada
Felipe is a citizen of Uruguay who intends to immigrate to Canada. He is a successful computer programmer with excellent knowledge of the English language. Moreover, Felipe, who is 29 years old, holds a Master’s in Computer Engineering. He has heard the NOC 2021 code of his work experience is vital for immigration to Canada. However, Felipe doesn’t know what NOC 2021 is and how to locate the relevant codes.
Table of contents
NOC 2021 is the new version of the National Occupation Classifications
ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada) classifies all occupations into several categories. In theory, these classifications cover every job in Canada. NOC 2021 assigns a five-digit number to every class. Of course, there is a logic behind these digits. For example, the NOC 2021 code for Bakers is 63202. Here is the breakdown of this code:
- Broad occupational category – 6: Sales and service occupations
- TEER (Training, Education, Experience and Responsibility) – 3: Occupations usually requiring a college diploma or apprenticeship training of fewer than two years; or more than six months of on-the-job training
- Major group – 63: Occupations in sales and services
- Sub-major group – 632: Occupations in services
- Minor group – 6320: Cooks, butchers and bakers
- Category – 63202: Bakers
Based on this breakdown, you may conclude that the first four digits for cooks and butchers must be the same as for bakers. This assumption is correct. NOC 2021 codes for these two categories are 63200 and 63201, respectively.
What is TEER in NOC 2021?
TEER stands for Training, Education, Experience and Responsibility. Of course, the second digit in each NOC 2021 code represents TEER. Since this code represents the required capabilities for a category, you may find it relevant to most economic immigration options. Therefore, you must acquaint yourself with TEER. I have taken the following table verbatim from the IRCC website to assist you. Moreover, I have another article that discusses TEER.
The role of TEER in immigration and work permit applications
Many economic immigration options rely on your work experience. Furthermore, they limit applicants to specific TEER categories under NOC 2021. Here are some examples:
- The Express Entry system
- Agri-food pilot – TEER 2, 3, 4, 5 (specific NOC codes only)
- Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot – TEER 4 (NOC 44100 & 44101 only)
I have not included all the programs. Specifically, this list does not mention PNP options. However, referring to their associated websites, you can locate NOC or TEER requirements for each PNP stream.
How to locate a NOC 2021 code and TEER
The second digit of each NOC 2021 code represents the TEER. Moreover, you may access a simple list of NOC codes by visiting the Find Your NOC page on the IRCC website. As the following example shows, this page reflects the NOC 2021 code and the TEER category on a simple table.
This list is not comprehensive. Therefore, you’d better look up NOC 2021 codes on the ESDC website. When using this website, make sure to select the correct NOC version. Furthermore, you may search categories by job title or NOC code.
Understanding the features of a NOC 2021 category
The NOC 2021 page on the ESDC website includes the following areas:
- The lead statement describes the category.
- Example titles help you better understand the category by offering a list of job titles. However, job titles are not crucial for most immigration and work permit options.
- Main duties describe typical job responsibilities for the category. Sometimes this section includes a list of essential tasks. For more immigration options, you must show you have done all the essential and most of the main duties. Of course, the same applies to work permit applications.
- The Additional Information and Employment Requirements sections are usually not decisive for immigration options. However, they could affect your work permit application success.
- Exclusions may help you in avoiding picking the wrong NOC code. However, they are not necessarily part of immigration or work permit criteria.
- The Breakdown Summary box lets you understand this code’s place in the NOC Matrix.
Let us help!
You may book a consultation session with me if you have difficulty locating a NOC code. Of course, you may also visit our Services page to pick the right option. Alternatively, please fill out the following form or our assessment form.
Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.
Al ParsaiAl Parsai, LLM, MA, RCIC-IRB
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada
Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!
This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.
The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.