Parents and Grandparents Super Visa 2022

Parents and Grandparents Super Visas 2022

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visitor visa that is valid for up to 10 years. Moreover, it allows you to visit your children or grandchildren for up to 5 years at a time. Major reforms to the Super Visa came into effect this month, July 2022. The changes include the following:

  • The length of stay for Super Visa holders increased to 5 years per entry into Canada.
  • Moreover, people who have a super visa also have the option to request to extend their stay by up to 2 years while in Canada. This means super visa holders are now able to stay in Canada for up to 7 consecutive years.
  • Canada’s Immigration Minister now has the authority to designate international medical insurance companies to provide coverage to Super Visa applicants in the future. Currently, only Canadian insurance providers can provide the necessary medical coverage that super visa applicants are required to have.

Let’s explore in detail what a super visa is and who is eligible for it.

What is a super visa?

The Super Visa is an attractive option for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who wish to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada. This visa provides multiple entries for a period of up to 10 years.

The Super Visa is offered as an alternative to the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP). The PGP offers permanent residence to its applicants. However, the demand to sponsor exceeds the number of spots available. In addition, IRCC has held lotteries to decide who gets to apply for the PGP, which critics say is unfair as candidates who just entered the pool may be picked over those who have been waiting much longer. Our Parental sponsorship 2021 article covers all the basics of the Parents and Grandparents Program. Our CEO and Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), Al Parsai, also recorded a video about this topic.

Who is eligible for a super visa?

To be eligible for a super visa, you must:

  • be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes:
    • a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
    • the list and number of people in the household of this person
    • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
    • valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry and has at least $100,000 coverage. Also, you should have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted).

You must also:

You can’t include dependants in this application.

Let us help!

We could help with your parents’ and grandparents’ Super Visa. Fill out the following form and we will get back to you as quickly as possible. Alternatively, you may fill out our assessment form for other immigration options, or book a consultation session with Al Parsai.

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your WhatsApp Number (Optional)


    Parental Sponsorship Applications

    Is the sponsor eligible to sponsor their parents?

    NoYesI don't know

    Is the applicant (the foreign national) eligible to immigrate?

    NoYesI don't know

    Are you willing to hire an immigration consultant to help you with your sponsorship application?

    NoYesI don't know

    Please provide more explanation below (optional but recommended):

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    Two-Pronged Test in Addressing Internal Flight Alternative (IFA)

    Apr 20, 2024

    Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

    Apr 14, 2024

    Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

    Apr 13, 2024

    Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

    Apr 9, 2024

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira