international student with a job offer in Ontario

Pathway for International Students with a Job Offer in Ontario

Click here for a new and more comprehensive version of this article.

There is a stream that gives international students the opportunity to permanently live and work in Ontario. That stream is the OINP Employer Job Offer: International Student stream.

The Employer Job Offer International Student stream is open to international students residing in and outside Canada. However, in order to apply, the students must have a job offer in a “skilled occupation” classified as Type/Level 0, A or B in accordance with Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC). In addition to a job offer, international students must ensure that they, their employer and the job offer meet the program criteria.

Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream

Application Process

In order to apply, you must first register an expression of interest to let the OINP know you wish to be invited to apply. Registering an expression of interest is not the same as applying to the OINP or applying for permanent residency. It only allows the OINP to gather important information about you. Of course, the OINP will rank you according to their criteria (education, language, etc).

After you register an expression of interest, the OINP (as usual) will conduct draws from the pool. If you receive an invitation to apply, you must submit an application through the OINP e-Filing Portal. Keep in mind, you can complete this application by yourself or assign an authorized representative to complete it on your behalf.

After applying, if you are nominated, your next step is to apply to the federal government through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent residence. Of course, IRCC makes the final decision on who becomes a permanent resident.

Applicant requirements

In order to be considered eligible under the Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream, you must have:

  • received from an eligible Canadian institution one of the following:
    • a degree or diploma that takes at least two years to complete if you study on a full-time basis, or
    • a degree, diploma or certificate that takes at least one year to complete if you study on a full-time basis and that requires a completed degree as an admission requirement
  • a valid licence or other authorization (if applicable)
  • intention to live in Ontario
  • legal status in Canada (if applicable)
  • a job offer in Ontario from an employer that meets the requirements. Please be aware that the job offer must be:
    • for a full-time and permanent position.
    • in a skilled occupation at Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupation Classification (NOC).
    • In addition, the pay must meet or be higher than the low wage level. And the position must be urgently necessary to the employer’s business.

Employer requirements

To qualify under the Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream, your employer:

  • must have been in active business for at least three years prior to submitting your application
  • have business premises in Ontario where you will work
  • must have no outstanding orders made against them under the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000 or the Occupational Health and Safety Act
  • meet one of the relevant revenue requirements for the most recently completed fiscal year
  • have at the time of application submission one of the following:
    • at least five full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents who work at the location where you will work, or will report to work, if you will work or report to work at a location in the Greater Toronto Area (City of Toronto, Durham, Halton, York and Peel regions) or
    • at least three full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents who work at the location where you will work, or will report to work, if you will work or report to work at a location outside the Greater Toronto
  • make an application for approval of an employment position by filling out and signing an Employer Form.

These are just some of the requirements for the Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream. If you want to know more about this stream, you can visit the OINP website. We can also help you see if you qualify for this stream.

Let us help!

If you intend to work in Canada after finishing your studies, fill out the following form. Of course, you may alternatively book an appointment with our RCIC or fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)

    Select the service(s) you need (required)

    Do you have a valid status in Canada?

    Do you have family members (i.e. spouse, common-law partner or children?

    Additional information (optional but helpful)

    Read this in Spanish

    Relevant article:

    Related Posts

    Grounds for Persecution under IRPA: Refugee Claims in Canada

    Feb 25, 2024

    Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) in 2024 – IMP C43

    Feb 19, 2024

    Choosing the proper English test for Canada: IELTS, CELPIP, PTE

    Feb 16, 2024

    Do I Need a Study Permit for ESL (English) Courses in Canada?

    Feb 11, 2024

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al ParsaiAl Parsai, LLM, MA, RCIC-IRB
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira