eTA to fly to Canada
Author: Andrea Neira
Last Updated On: July 5, 2022

Permanent residents of the U.S. do not need an eTA to fly to Canada

As of April 26, 2022, permanent residents of the U.S. (such as Green Card holders) do not need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada. According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for all methods of travel to Canada, these individuals must now carry:

  • official proof of their status in the U.S. (such as a valid green card or a valid I-551 [ADIT] stamp in their passport), and
  • a valid passport from their country of nationality (or an equivalent travel document).

Please, be aware that foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by land, sea or rail do not need to get eTAs.

What is an eTA?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a document that allows visa-exempt travellers to travel to or transit through Canada by air. Moreover, an eTA can be valid for 5 years or until the applicant’s passport expires, whichever occurs sooner. It can also be cancelled by a designated officer.

Applications for electronic travel authorizations, including eTA expansion, are, “for the most part, online, automated applications” noted the IRCC. Further, it added that “applications that are not approved automatically by the Global Case Management System (GCMS) require manual review at the Operations Support Centre (OSC).”

If you want to learn more about this electronic document, please visit: What is an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization)

Countries whose nationals require an eTA

Foreign nationals who hold any of the following documents also require an eTA:

  • A passport or travel document issued by the Holy See
  • A national Israeli passport
  • A passport issued by:
    • the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China
    • the United Kingdom to a British national (overseas), such as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong
    • the United Kingdom to a British subject that contains the observation that the holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom,
  • An ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual

If you already hold an eTA click here to see if it is still valid.

Who does not need an eTA to travel to Canada?

If you belong to the following groups you do not need an eTA:

  • People who enter Canada by sea, rail, or road
  • Individuals who hold a valid Canadian TRV or temporary resident permit (TRP)
  • A national of the United States or a person who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence

Of course, there are some other groups that are exempt from eTA. Please visit the following article to read the full list:

Stay updated!

We will publish more articles soon so sign up for our newsletter. Also, if you have general questions about eTAs, fill out the following form. You can also book an appointment for official advice about travelling to Canada or other immigration subjects. Additionally, you can fill out our free assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Read this in Spanish

    Related Posts

    Inspiring Canadian Reform: Chevron Deference Overturned

    Jul 15, 2024

    Custodians for Minor International Students in Canada

    Jul 13, 2024

    K-12 Education in Canada: A Guide for Americans and Others

    Jul 8, 2024

    Ontario Expands In-Demand Skills Job List

    Jul 6, 2024

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira