Permit Holder Class: from TRP to PR

If you have already read my article on Temporary Resident Permit, you know that some TRP holders could immigrate. Of course, to become a member of the Permit Holder Class, you need more than a TRP. I explain the TRP to PR pathway under the Permit Holder Class in this article.

In this article, I assume you are familiar with the concept of TRP. However, if you are not, then click here for more information. Nonetheless, if you are facing issues contact us.

Who is a member of the Permit Holder Class?

You are a member of the Permit Holder Class if you meet all the following requirements:

  • You have continuously resided in Canada for at least three to five years. However, the duration of stay depends on the reason for the TRP application.
  • Your TRP is currently valid. Of course, you have also held a TRP for the qualifying period.
  • You are not facing any inadmissibility issues. Nonetheless, the original inadmissibility that was the reason for the TRP application does not matter.
  • You are not facing any ineligibility issues.

Who is ineligible for the Permit Holder Class?

A person who does not meet the first three qualifications I mentioned earlier is not a member of the Permit Holder Class. Moreover, the following issues make you ineligible.

Break in the continuity

The maximum duration of a TRP is three years. Also, most TRPs do not allow you re-entry. Consequently, you could become a Permit Holder Class member if you remain in Canada continuously and renew the TRP before expiry.

If your TRP allows re-entry, you may leave Canada and re-enter. However, the duration of absentees must remain short. Unfortunately, it is at an officer’s discretion to identify the effect of absences on your PR application. Therefore, it is in your best interest not to leave Canada, even if you have permission for re-entry.

Residency requirements

The following table explains residency requirements. However, you must consider other criteria as well.

Minimum three years of continuous residency Minimum five years of ongoing residency
  • You are inadmissible to Canada because of medical issues
  • The inadmissibility is because you were the accompanying family member of a person above
  • You are the accompanying family member of a person in the second paragraph

PR pathway for the Permit Holder Class

If you are a member of the Permit Holder Class, you may apply for permanent residence. However, if you live in Quebec, you need to get approval from the MIDI first. Regardless, the immigration process includes the following steps:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o General, Station 005
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

Keep in mind the list of forms and documents could change at any point in time. Moreover, IRCC may even change the application procedure. Therefore, double-check everything on their website.

Application for family members

The Permit Holder Class excludes concurrent applications for dependent family members. Therefore, you must take one of the following routes for family members.

  • Option 1: Your family member holds a TRP. Thus, they may apply separately as the principal applicant of a separate Permit Holder Class application.
  • Option 2: They are not members of the Permit Holder Class. Consequently, you may sponsor them to Canada after becoming a permanent resident.

Let us help with your Permit Holder Class application

Fill out the following form, and we will contact you regarding your Permit Holder Class application. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session with me. Of course, for other immigration options, you may fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number (optional)


    Your Message

    Related Posts

    help for internationally educated health professionals in Canada

    Proposals to help internationally educated health professionals in Canada

    Dec 6, 2022
    work permits for family members of temporary foreign workers

    Canada is extending work permits to family members of temporary workers

    Dec 5, 2022
    Know the province with the highest net loss due to interprovincial migration in Canada

    Know the province with the highest net loss due to interprovincial migration in Canada

    Dec 4, 2022

    IELTS for entrepreneur work permits, IMP C11, C10, and C12

    Dec 3, 2022

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?