Port of Entry

Port of Entry CanadaImeda is a citizen of Georgia. He holds a visitor’s visa from the US and another one from Canada. Imeda is currently in Michigan. He has heard no army or barrier to protect the border between the United States and Canada. Considering holding a valid visa to Canada, Imeda wonders if he can cross the border at any point.

A port of entry (POE) is where you may legally cross the border of a country. Canadian ports of entry include the following:

  • Some Canadian airports such as Toronto Pearson International Airport, Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, Vancouver International Airport, and Halifax Stanfield International Airport
  • Land ports of entry where you may cross with a vehicle or in some cases on foot, such as Windsor – Ambassador Bridge, Niagara Falls – Rainbow Bridge, Boundary Bay (British Columbia), Scobey–Coronach Border Crossing (Saskatchewan), and Chateaugay–Herdman Border Crossing (Quebec)
  • Ferry crossings where a ferry takes you to Canada, such as Prince Rupert (British Columbia), Walpole Island (Ontario), and Yarmouth (Nova Scotia)
  • Rail crossings where you cross the border with the help of a train, such as White Rock (British Columbia), Niagara Falls (Ontario), and Cantic (Quebec)
  • Seaports where you enter Canada with a boat or a ship, such as Sept-Îles Port (Quebec), Belledune Port (New Brunswick), and St. John’s Port (Newfoundland and Labrador)

Services at a Port of Entry (POE)

Some of the services offered at a port of entry include:

The officials at a port of entry may sometimes remove a person from Canada or detain certain foreign nationals or permanent residents under the immigration law (IRPA) or other laws of Canada.

Dual Intent

If you already have an open immigration application and intend to enter Canada on a temporary basis, make sure to read the following article as well:

Irregular crossing!

Even if you do not need a visa to enter Canada or you are a permanent resident of Canada or a citizen of Canada, you may not cross the border other than at a designated port of entry. Some ports of entry offer limited services or limited hours of operation. Make sure to double-check the availability of each port of entry before making travel plans to Canada.

If you intend to use a land crossing as a port  of entry, make sure to read the following article as well:

If you wish to visit or move to Canada or if you have encountered any issues with the immigration authorities, you may fill out our free assessment form or book a consultation session to assess your potential opportunities or offer you immigration, visa, or citizenship advice.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting

This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not give legal advice nor should you rely on it as legal advice. If you have specific legal questions, you should consult a lawyer. If you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment. All the characters in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Any resemblance in names, dates, and places (whether individuals, organizations, regions, or countries) is coincidental.

Related Posts

Canadas record population growth 2023 update

Immigration drives last year’s record population growth in Canada

Mar 25, 2023
Canadian provinces minimum wage 2023

These Canadian provinces will increase their minimum wage in April 2023

Mar 24, 2023

Vavilov decision: A turning point in Canadian judicial review

Mar 23, 2023
Ontario and other provinces nomination allocation 2023

Ontario dominates PNP nominations with 16,500 allocations for 2023

Mar 23, 2023

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?