register a business in ontario
Author: Andrea Neira
Last Updated On: July 3, 2021

You can now register a Business in Ontario without a Canadian Resident on the Board

Ontario will no longer require any resident Canadians on the Board of Directors when registering a business. This policy will be effective on July 5th, 2021.

In the past, companies incorporated under the Ontario’s Business Corporations required that at least 25% of the directors be resident Canadians. Even if the business had less than four directors, one director had to be a resident Canadian.

The removal of this requirement will allow you to incorporate your business (or continue under the Ontario’s Business Corporations Act, OBCA), in Canada’s most populous province, ONTARIO.

This and other changes allow Ontario to be more aligned with other provinces that have no Canadian residency requirements for their directors. For example, British Columbia has not had a residency requirement for more than two decades. On the other hand, Alberta recently removed its directors residency requirement as of March 29th, 2021.

business ontario

<<Read: Expand your business in Canada with Parsai Immigration Services>>

Register a business

To incorporate a business, you must first decide what type of business you are going to incorporate. Some of the general requirements in Ontario are:

If you need more information about: business types in Canada, Residency Requirements for the Directors, Business Names, Name Extensions, and more, please click here.


After July 5th, 2021, the residency requirements will remain only for federally incorporated companies under the Canada Business Corporations Act. Also, it will remain in Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Saskatchewan.

Corporations will still need to pay attention to any tax issues that may arise, especially in the context of cross-border issues. Therefore, corporations with non-resident directors must consider the residency thresholds of other jurisdictions, as well as understand the residency tie-breaker rules with Canada.

Asking Help from Professionals

Due to the complexities of business registration, we highly recommend getting help from professionals. A corporate lawyer can help you set up the structure of your business. A professional accountant may also help you register the company, and so on.

Parsai Immigration Services with help of its partners has successfully registered many businesses in different provinces of Canada, especially Ontario. If you have general questions about this pathway, fill out the following form. Otherwise, please book a consultation session or fill out our assessment form.

    How many years of work experience do you have as a business owner or senior manager in the past five years?

    The highest level of education

    How much do you intent to invest (in Canadian dollars):

    Do you have access to liquid assets for this investment?

    Your knowledge of the English language:

    Your knowledge of the French language:

    Have you ever travelled to Canada?

    Are you currently inside Canada?

    Please share more information to help us better assess you:

    <<Read this article in Spanish>>

    Related Posts

    Understanding the Roles of Immigration Practitioners in Canada

    Jul 23, 2024

    Business Visitor Entry Under CUSMA for U.S. and Mexican Citizens

    Jul 21, 2024

    Can You Get Express Entry CRS Points with a Trade Certificate?

    Jul 20, 2024

    Navigating Skilled Trades and Licensing in Canada for Immigration

    Jul 18, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Andrea Neira