Removal Orders Canada – Deportation, Exclusion, Departure

Sometimes the immigration authorities find you inadmissible to Canada. Of course, inadmissibility affects foreign nationals and permanent residents only. Consequently, Canadian citizens are immune to inadmissibility. If you are inadmissible and you are already inside Canada, you could receive a removal order. A removal order is an official order that asks you to leave Canada as soon as possible.

Enforceable vs. unenforceable removal orders

If a removal order is enforceable, you need to leave Canada as soon as possible. Of course, disobedience could result in a nation-wide warrant by CBSA. Consequently, they will ask all police forces such as the RCMP, provincial police, or municipal police to arrest you and arrange your deportation from Canada.

Sometimes a removal order becomes unenforceable. Of course, an unenforceable removal order means you can stay in Canada until it becomes enforceable. If the authorities make a removal order void, you do not need to leave Canada (unless due to other reasons such as your permit’s expiry). The following situations could make a removal order unenforceable.

  • Judicial Review (practitioners see R231)
  • Pre-removal Risk Assessment or PRRA (practitioners see R232)
  • Humanitarian and compassionate or public policy considerations (practitioners see R233)

Some exceptions may apply to the stay of removal orders. Consult with a professional for more information.

[[ We Could Help! ]]

Types of removal orders

A removal order could be any of the following three:

  • Departure Order: You need to leave Canada within the next 30 days and report your departure to the authorities. However, if you do not leave Canada at the specified time or do not report your departure, the departure order automatically turns into a deportation order. (practitioners see R224).
  • Exclusion Order: You need to leave Canada within the specified time and not get back to Canada within the next 12 months. However, if the exclusion order is because of misrepresentation, you may not return to Canada within the next five years.  (practitioners see R225)
  • Deportation Order: You need to leave Canada within the specified time, and you may not return to Canada unless you receive an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC). (practitioners see R226)

I have another article that explains who issues a removal order. However, it covers an advanced topic.

[[ We Could Help! ]]

Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

If you have received a departure order, you may return to Canada at any time subject to the following:

  • You left Canada within the 30-day time limit.
  • The CBSA received an official report about your departure.
  • You are not inadmissible to Canada.
  • You have proper permits or visas for returning to Canada. Of course, some example papers could be a valid eTA, TRV, Work Permit, Study Permit or a Permanent Resident Visa. Regardless, if you are a US citizen and intend to visit Canada only, you do not need to hold a visa or eTA.

If you have received an exclusion order, but you left Canada a long time ago (i.e. at least 60 months ago for misrepresentation and 12 months ago for other situations), you may return to Canada subject to the conditions explained the previous bullet points.

If you have received an exclusion order but the time limitation has not passed, or if you have received a deportation order, you need to apply for Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) to be able to return to Canada. A typical ARC application looks like a TRV application. Still, you need to pay the ARC processing fee (currently $400) and include several other documents to convince the immigration authorities you deserve the ARC.

For more information about an ARC application, read the following article.

Alternatives to removal orders

Sometimes officers refrain from issuing a removal order. Instead, they may allow you to sign a Voluntary Departure form and leave Canada peacefully. Of course, two alternative options could be a Direction to Leave Canada or a Visitor Record. However, the latter in an inadmissibility situation is highly improbable. Visit the following links for more information:

We could help!

If you are facing a removal order, we could help. Fill out the following form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Of course, you may alternatively book a consultation session with Al Parsai.

    Full Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number(optional)

    Are you inadmissible to Canada?

    YesNoI don't know

    Have you received a removal order from Canada?

    Yes, DepartureYes, ExclusionYes, DeportationYes, type unknownNoI don't know

    Any other issues (select all that apply)?

    Do you believe humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to you?

    YesNoI don't know

    Please explain the issue briefly:

    Upload a file that could help us better understand your situation - only PDF, JPG or PNG and less than 0.5MB

    Related Posts

    Canadas record population growth 2023 update

    Immigration drives last year’s record population growth in Canada

    Mar 25, 2023
    Canadian provinces minimum wage 2023

    These Canadian provinces will increase their minimum wage in April 2023

    Mar 24, 2023

    Vavilov decision: A turning point in Canadian judicial review

    Mar 23, 2023
    Ontario and other provinces nomination allocation 2023

    Ontario dominates PNP nominations with 16,500 allocations for 2023

    Mar 23, 2023

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?