Replacement of Temporary Resident Visa | Lost or damaged TRV stickers

IRCC attaches a counterfoil to your passport when they issue a TRV. Of course, a TRV allows you to board an airplane and travel to Canada as a visitor, student, or worker. However, you sometimes lose your passport. In other situations, someone may steal your passport, or significant damage to it could make the TRV sticker useless. Let’s explore the replacement of a temporary resident visa when you are outside Canada. Regardless, I have another article for those who are inside Canada.

Do I always need to replace a TRV sticker?

You may use a TRV sticker as long as it is valid and not damaged. Therefore, even if you change your passport, you may still use the TRV sticker in your previous passport. Of course, you need to hold your old and new passports while travelling. Also, you need to make sure your TRV is still valid.

Attention! If the TRV sticker has passed the expiration date, you must apply for a new temporary resident visa. Unfortunately, the current article does not cover expired TRVs.

Who may apply for a TRV sticker replacement?

You may apply for a sticker replacement if your TRV is still valid. However, you are facing one of the following circumstances:

  • You have a new passport and intend to transfer the TRV sticker to the new passport. Nevertheless, as I mentioned earlier, an alternative is to take both passports with you to Canada.
  • Someone has stolen your passport, or you have lost your passport.
  • The sticker is damaged.
  • Your passport is significantly damaged.

Please note that my focus is on outside-Canada cases in this article. Nonetheless, I have another article for inside Canada issues.

How to resolve the problem

To replace the TRV sticker, take the following steps. Nevertheless, remember the only option is an on-paper application.

  1. Pay the $30 Verification of Status processing fee online. Print the receipt as you need to include it in your application package.
  2. Visit the nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC). You have to go in person. However, contact them directly for alternative options. Also, keep in mind the VAC may ask you to sign a consent letter and pay extra fees.
  3. Submit your old passport that includes the valid TRV. However, if you are dealing with a lost or stolen passport, please present the police report and other supporting documents. Moreover, make sure to translate all non-English or non-French documents into one of the official languages of Canada.
  4. Submit your new passport.
  5. If any of your circumstances have changed, it would be best to fill out relevant forms and include them in your package. Here is a list of potential forms. However, you may not need to fill out any of them, depending on your circumstances. Also, for complicated situations, consult with a professional.
  6. Include any documents that reflect changes to your circumstances. Of course, you may consult with a licenced practitioner for more information.

Let us help!

Please fill out the following form if you face issues, such as TRV sticker replacement. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session with me. Of course, filling out our assessment form could be another option to explore your potential opportunities.

    Full Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number(optional)

    Are you inadmissible to Canada?

    YesNoI don't know

    Have you received a removal order from Canada?

    Yes, DepartureYes, ExclusionYes, DeportationYes, type unknownNoI don't know

    Any other issues (select all that apply)?

    Do you believe humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to you?

    YesNoI don't know

    Please explain the issue briefly:

    Upload a file that could help us better understand your situation - only PDF, JPG or PNG and less than 0.5MB

    Related Posts

    Special authorization and its alternatives for Canadian dual citizens

    Sep 23, 2023

    Are Canadian citizens admissible to Canada?

    Sep 17, 2023

    Foreign record suspensions and Canadian admissibility

    Sep 7, 2023

    OINP Foreign Worker Stream with an Employer Job Offer

    Sep 6, 2023

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.