How can I resolve inadmissibility to Canada?

Inadmissibility could prevent foreign nationals from immigrating to Canada. It even could cause the removal of permanent residents or foreign nationals from Canada. However, depending on the reason, you could resolve the issues. Of course, if you do not address the underlying issues, you could seek temporary remedies. This article explores both temporary and permanent solutions to inadmissibility. Nonetheless, I recommend visiting the following page before reading this article.

Table of Contents

What to do if you believe you are admissible?

If an officer believes you are inadmissible, they send you a Procedural Fairness Letter (PFL). Of course, this is your moment to resolve the problem. If you believe you are admissible, you need to show convincing documents to the officer. However, if the officer refuses your application, you may consider filing for Judicial Review (JR). You need to hire a lawyer to file for the JR via the Federal Court. If you win the case, then another immigration officer will review your inadmissibility.

We could help!

Resolving inadmissibility temporarily

Regardless of the options, I present here; you could always consider requesting a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). Visit the following link to understand this option. However, keep in mind that TRP is a temporary solution (some exceptions apply).

Addressing criminal inadmissibility

If you are inadmissible due to criminality, you could address it depending on where the conviction occurred.

You could read the following article for more information:

Sometimes you do not need to apply for rehabilitation if you qualify for deemed rehabilitation. Of course, you need to consult with a professional to see if you qualify. Also, you could consider H&C.

Dealing with medical inadmissibility

The solution to medical inadmissibility is to apply under H&C. However, a successful TRP for medical inadmissibility could eventually result in permanent residence. Sometimes, you could address the medical inadmissibility by resolving the medical issues. For example, going through surgery. There are some alternative solutions, as well. For example, in excessive demand situations, you could cover some of the expenses yourself. Of course, you need to consult with a professional to see how to handle these options.

Financial InadmissibilityAddressing financial inadmissibility

Probably the best approach to financial inadmissibility is prevention. In other words, if you are immigrating to Canada, make sure you meet the financial requirements or don’t apply at all. It would be best if you also convince the officer you intend to remain financially independent in Canada. However, if you are inadmissible due to financial reasons, consider filing for H&C.

We could help!

Resolving misrepresentation

Misrepresentation causes temporary inadmissibility for sixty months. Therefore, the obvious solution is to wait for five years and then apply for Canada.  However, if you intend to resolve the issue sooner, consider H&C or TRP. Regardless, I encourage you to watch my video on this topic.

Inadmissibility due to serious issues

Unfortunately, H&C is not an option for the following issues:

  • Security reasons (e.g. terrorism and espionage)
  • Human or international rights violations
  • Organized criminality

In these situations, your ultimate solution is the Ministerial Relief. Of course, you could consider TRP as a temporary solution.

Family members’ issues

Sometimes, you become inadmissible because of a family member. Of course, the obvious solution is to resolve the inadmissibility of the family member. However, you could also explore alternative options such as H&C or TRP.

Inadmissibility with an expiry date

As I mentioned earlier, misrepresentation causes temporary inadmissibility. Some other examples of temporary inadmissibility include,

  • Losing the PR status because of not meeting the residency obligations: You are inadmissible for as long as you are inside Canada. However, if you comply with your departure order, you won’t be inadmissible as soon as you leave Canada.
  • Receiving an Exclusion order because of non-compliance with the immigration Act (e.g. if you overstay in Canada): You will remain inadmissible for only one year upon leaving Canada.
  • If the criminal inadmissibility is under paragraph 36(2)(d): In other words, committing an offence upon entering Canada, if that crime constitutes inadmissibility under section 19 of IRPR (Sorry for the gibberish :D). Such problems could lose their effect if you withdraw your request for entering Canada and leave the country. However, run your documents with a professional to make sure this is the case.
We could help!

Inside Canada inadmissibility

If you become inadmissible while inside Canada, you could receive a removal order. However, you usually need to fight for staying in Canada by attending a hearing at the Immigration Division of IRB. Consequently, you could also attend an appeal hearing at the Immigration Appeal Division of IRP. Of course, if you lose the battle, you will receive a removal order. Depending on the nature of the removal, you may need to apply for an ARC on top of addressing the underlying issue. Read the following articles for more information.

We could help!

If you have an inadmissibility issue, fill out the following form. We will contact you as soon as we can.

    Welcome! We're here to help you with your immigration concerns. Please provide some initial information to help us understand your situation and guide you better. Your journey towards resolving immigration issues begins here.

    Personal Information

    Full Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Confirm Email (required)

    WhatsApp number (optional)

    Immigration Concerns

    Are you inadmissible to Canada?

    YesNoI don't know

    Have you received a removal order from Canada?

    Yes, DepartureYes, ExclusionYes, DeportationYes, type unknownNoI don't know

    Any other issues (select all that apply)?

    Do you believe humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to you?

    YesNoI don't know

    Please explain the issue briefly:

    Additional Resources

    Upload a file that could help us better understand your situation - only PDF, JPG or PNG and less than 0.5MB. Examples of helpful documents include: refusal letters, other correspondence from immigration authorities, etc.

    Your Next Step

    If you prefer to discuss your situation directly, you can book a consultation session with Al Parsai. Please note that the consultation is not free. By submitting this form, you're taking the first step towards receiving professional guidance on your immigration journey. We will review your information and advise if it is best to book a consultation with him.

    We take your privacy seriously. Your information will only be used to assess your situation and to contact you.

    Client Testimonials

    We are proud to have a rating of 4.8/5 based on tens of reviews. Here's what one of many of our satisfied clients had to say about our services:

    A testimonial by a satisfied consultation client.

    You can find more reviews by searching for "Parsai Immigration Services" on Google.

    Related Posts

    Immigration Agencies in the US and Canada: A Comparison

    May 18, 2024

    Innovation Stream Pilot Work Permit in Canada – IMP C88

    May 16, 2024

    Comparing the Standard of Proof in Canada and the United States

    May 12, 2024

    Updated IMP Codes for Intra-Company Transferees (ICT)

    May 11, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.