Restoration of Status Canada

Restoration of status CanadaSebastian is a Bolivian citizen. He travelled to Canada seven months ago. Upon entry, a border services officer allowed Sebastian to stay in Canada for six months. However, he overstayed. Consequently, Sebastian wonders what his options are. He has heard of the Restoration of Status in Canada. A friend of Sebastian says he has to go for it. However, Sebastian is not quite sure about this option.

When you enter Canada temporarily, you need to leave the country before your status expires. Continue reading to know more!

Think about the validity of your stay before the restoration of the status

Consider the restoration of status as a last resort. Therefore, to avoid any issues, explore the expiry date of your status.

  • Visitors: When you enter Canada, a border services officer decides how long you may stay in Canada. Of course, if they do not stamp your passport, you may stay for up to six months. Similarly, if they stamp your passport but do not add an expiry date, you could stay for up to six months in Canada. However, they sometimes add an expiry date or pass you a Visitor Record. Thus, you need to leave Canada before the expiry date on your entry stamp or the Visitor Record.
  • Workers without a work permitIf you may work in Canada without a permit, then your situation is similar to a visitor. In other words, you may stay in Canada for up to six months. Of course, a border services officer could limit or extend your stay on a Visitor Record.
  • International students: You will receive a Study Permit at the port of entry. Consequently, you need to leave Canada if any of the following happens first.
    • Ninety days have passed since you finished your studies.
    • The expiry date on the Study Permit
  • Workers with a work permit: A work permit includes an expiry date. Therefore, you need to leave Canada on that date.

Of course, if you receive an enforceable removal order, you need to leave Canada as quickly as possible. Needless to say, a removal order invalidates your work permit, study permit or temporary stay in Canada.

Do I need to apply for restoration of status while I have status?

Considering what I explained above, if your status is still valid, you do not need to apply for a restoration of status. However, if you intend to remain in Canada beyond your status’s validity, you need to do something about it. Luckily, I have another article that explains your options:

Can I apply for a restoration of status if my status is expired?

The very purpose of a restoration application is to revive an already-lost status. However, you need to meet certain conditions:

  • The authorities must receive your application in less than 90 days since the time you lost your status.
  • While you had the status, you never breached the conditions attached to it.
  • You still meet the conditions that resulted in your previous status.
  • The immigration authorities have not decided to cancel your temporary status because of public policy.
Trying to restore your status after 90 days!

How do I apply for the restoration of status?

You must apply online. However, if the online application is not an option due to a physical or mental disability, you could apply on paper. The main application form is IMM5708. Of course, you need to include several convincing documents as well. The processing fee is currently $200 for these types of applications. Of course, if your biometrics are not valid, you need to provide biometrics, which costs you another $85.

What about my family members?

The restoration of status covers one person at a time. Therefore, if you have family members who have lost their status, they must apply separately.

What happens if they approve my restoration application?

If the officer approves your application, then you may stay in Canada. However, you need to carefully read the conditions attached to the new status, including but not limited to the date that you need to leave Canada.

What if they refuse my restoration application?

If they refuse your application, you need to leave Canada immediately. However, you could consider hiring a lawyer and filing for judicial review. Some potential options could be a TRP or an H&C application. Of course, you must meet the criteria.

Let us help!

If you wish, we help you with your restoration application, fill out the following contact form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Of course, you could use this form for any other issues you are facing. However, for the restoration of status, select “Expired Status.” Alternatively, you could fill out our assessment form or book a consultation session with me.

    Welcome! We're here to help you with your immigration concerns. Please provide some initial information to help us understand your situation and guide you better. Your journey towards resolving immigration issues begins here.

    Personal Information

    Full Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Confirm Email (required)

    WhatsApp number (optional)

    Immigration Concerns

    Are you inadmissible to Canada?

    YesNoI don't know

    Have you received a removal order from Canada?

    Yes, DepartureYes, ExclusionYes, DeportationYes, type unknownNoI don't know

    Any other issues (select all that apply)?

    Do you believe humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to you?

    YesNoI don't know

    Please explain the issue briefly:

    Additional Resources

    Upload a file that could help us better understand your situation - only PDF, JPG or PNG and less than 0.5MB. Examples of helpful documents include: refusal letters, other correspondence from immigration authorities, etc.

    Your Next Step

    If you prefer to discuss your situation directly, you can book a consultation session with Al Parsai. Please note that the consultation is not free. By submitting this form, you're taking the first step towards receiving professional guidance on your immigration journey. We will review your information and advise if it is best to book a consultation with him.

    We take your privacy seriously. Your information will only be used to assess your situation and to contact you.

    Client Testimonials

    We are proud to have a rating of 4.8/5 based on tens of reviews. Here's what one of many of our satisfied clients had to say about our services:

    A testimonial by a satisfied consultation client.

    You can find more reviews by searching for "Parsai Immigration Services" on Google.

    Relevant article:

    Related Posts

    Two-Pronged Test in Addressing Internal Flight Alternative (IFA)

    Apr 20, 2024

    Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

    Apr 14, 2024

    Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

    Apr 13, 2024

    Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

    Apr 9, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.