Restoration of status after 90 days in Canada

You may submit a restoration of status request in Canada within 90 days of losing it. Of course, you may do so only if you are not inadmissible to Canada. What if, for any reason, you pass the 90-day deadline. Can you file for restoration of status after 90 days in Canada?

Who has permanent status in Canada?

Canadian citizens have permanent status in Canada. Also, permanent residents of Canada have permanent status if they comply with the requirements, namely:

Other people or rather foreign nationals do not have permanent status in Canada. However, they may still have temporary resident status in Canada.

Who has temporary status in Canada?

Before discussing the restoration of status after 90 days, let’s discuss temporary status in Canada. Foreign nationals could have temporary status in Canada because they are

Visitors, business visitors, and people exempt from a work or study permit

Not every visitor has temporary status in Canada. Of course, you have temporary status in Canada if any of the following applies to you:

  • You entered Canada legally without any issues. Nonetheless, you have been in Canada for less than six months, or the date the officer has indicated in your passport.
  • The Visitor Record you hold is still valid.
  • You have a maintained status in Canada.

These conditions apply to the first four groups I mentioned above. Regardless, an enforceable removal order cancels the temporary status of any foreign national in Canada.

International students and temporary foreign workers

Most of these people have valid status in Canada. However, you do not have temporary status in the following situations:

  • The permit includes this phrase or something similar: “does not confer temporary resident status.”
  • You have passed the expiry date of the permit. Nonetheless, you may still have status if you have applied for a change or extension of your status before the permit’s expiry date.
  • Authorities have issued an enforceable removal order against you.
  • You are a refugee claimant.

Restoration of status in 90 days

If you lose your temporary status, you may apply for a restoration of status within 90 days of losing the status. However, you may not apply beyond 90 days. Also, you can’t apply if you are inadmissible to Canada. Luckily I have another article that explains the restoration of status in detail.

Restoration of status after 90 days

The Restoration of Status application is not available after 90 days. Nonetheless, there are some options that you could use to become a temporary resident again. Here are some main options:

Let us help!

If you want to restore your status after 90 days or within 90 days of losing the status, fill out the following form. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session with me. However, for immigration options, please fill out our assessment form.

    Full Name (required)

    Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp number(optional)

    Are you inadmissible to Canada?

    YesNoI don't know

    Have you received a removal order from Canada?

    Yes, DepartureYes, ExclusionYes, DeportationYes, type unknownNoI don't know

    Any other issues (select all that apply)?

    Do you believe humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to you?

    YesNoI don't know

    Please explain the issue briefly:

    Upload a file that could help us better understand your situation - only PDF, JPG or PNG and less than 0.5MB

    Read this in Spanish 

    Related Posts

    Special authorization and its alternatives for Canadian dual citizens

    Sep 23, 2023

    Are Canadian citizens admissible to Canada?

    Sep 17, 2023

    Foreign record suspensions and Canadian admissibility

    Sep 7, 2023

    OINP Foreign Worker Stream with an Employer Job Offer

    Sep 6, 2023

    Would you please fill out our free assessment form if you wish to visit or move to Canada? We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal immigration advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Adjunct Professor – Queen’s University – Faculty of Law
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.