SAWP Job Categories – Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program

To apply for a work permit under the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP), your job category must fall under an acceptable National Occupational Classification (NOC) category. Your job must also be primarily in agriculture and meet the following criteria:

  • You need to work inside a greenhouse or nursery or a farm
  • Your job must include at least one of the following duties:
    • handling animals other than fish including but not limited to taking care of their breeding, tending, boarding, and sanitation! Of course, the final outcome will be raw animal products.
    • dealing with those raw products in the form of assessing them, collecting them, etc.
    • operating farm equipment
    • taking care of trees, crops, sod or other plants by planting them, preparing them, harvesting them, etc.
  • As mentioned earlier working under one of the acceptable NOC categories

Job categories under the SAWP

The following table shows acceptable job categories under the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP). I have taken the descriptions verbatim from the NOC 2016 website. Nonetheless, you may click the NOC codes to view the official website for more information:

Job Category Description
0821 – Managers in agriculture Managers in agriculture plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations and functions of farms. They are responsible for growing crops, raising and breeding livestock, poultry and other animals and marketing farm products. They usually own and operate their own establishment.
0822 – Managers in horticulture Managers in horticulture plan, organize, direct and control the activities of nursery and greenhouse staff who grow and market trees, shrubs, flowers and plants.
8252 – Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers Agricultural service contractors provide agricultural services such as livestock and poultry breeding, soil preparation, crop planting, crop spraying, cultivating or harvesting. Farm supervisors supervise the work of general farm workers and harvesting labourers. Specialized livestock workers carry out feeding, health and breeding programs on dairy, beef, sheep, poultry, swine and other livestock farms. Contractors may be self-employed.
8255 – Contractors and supervisors, landscaping, grounds maintenance and horticulture services Contractors and supervisors, landscaping, grounds maintenance and horticulture services supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following unit groups: Nursery and greenhouse workers (8432) and Landscaping and grounds maintenance labourers (8612). They are employed by landscaping companies, cemeteries, lawn care and tree service companies, nurseries and greenhouses and by landscaping operations of public works departments and private establishments. Contractors may be self-employed.
8431 – General farm-workers General farm workers plant, cultivate and harvest crops, raise livestock and poultry and maintain and repair farm equipment and buildings. This unit group includes operators of farm machinery. They are employed on crop, livestock, fruit, vegetable and specialty farms.
8432 – Nursery and greenhouse workers Nursery and greenhouse workers plant, cultivate and harvest trees, shrubs, flowers and plants, and serve nursery and greenhouse customers. They are employed in indoor and outdoor nurseries and greenhouses.
8611 – Harvesting labourers Harvesting labourers assist other farm workers to harvest, sort and pack crops.


Salaries and more about the SAWP

To learn more about the SAWP, read the following articles, or contact us:

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review the form for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada


This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not give legal advice. Do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. We cannot be held responsible for the content of these articles. If you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. If you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment. All the characters in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Any resemblance in names, dates, and places (whether individuals, organizations, regions, or countries) is coincidental.

Related Posts

Canada new Affordability Plan

Know More About Canada’s Affordability Plan

Sep 25, 2022

Section 16(1) and 40(1) in Canadian procedural fairness letters

Sep 25, 2022
Canadian job vacancies in 2022

Canada reported a record high of 997,000 job vacancies

Sep 24, 2022
international student with a job offer in Ontario

Pathway for International Students with a Job Offer in Ontario

Sep 23, 2022

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

Do you have any questions?