SDS Canada – Study Direct Stream study permits
Canada has launched a new program for study permits that could make the process faster and easier. However, the new Study Direct Stream (SDS) Program covers the legal residents of the following countries only:
- Antigua and Barbuda*
- Costa Rica*
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines*
- Trinidad and Tobago*
This program may expand to other countries in the future. Nonetheless, if you are not a legal resident of the approved countries, you may not apply for SDS. Of course, you may apply under the regular study permit processes.
The steps you need to take for SDS Canada
To qualify for this program, you also need to meet the following requirements.
- Take an upfront medical exam. Of course, you must visit an approved Panel Physician.
- Purchase a $10,000 GIC from a financial institution insured by the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). Note: If you submit your application on or after Jan 1, 2024, you must post 75% of the 12-month LICO, which is currently about $20,635.
- Get admission to a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Pay the first-year tuition fee in full.
- Take the IELTS with a score of at least six or take the TEF Canada with a score of equivalent to Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens 7. If you have graduated from a Canadian curriculum high school, you are exempt from taking any of these tests.
- Submit other necessary forms and documents.
The following table shows the minimum language requirements for SDS Canada. You only need to take one of the following tests.
|IELTS General or Academic
Documents and forms
The forms and document checklists vary depending on your country of residence.
Let us help!
Of course, you may either consult with the IRCC website or fill out the following form to help you with the process. Keep in mind, SDS does not guarantee success but is a faster method to receive the outcome of your application.
Last update: 2021-07-09
If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.
Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!
This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.
The characters and places in the articles:
All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.
For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.