What is a Single Journey Travel Document (IMM 5565 – SJTD)?

The world of immigration is full of twists and turns. Regardless, the immigration authorities must come up with solutions for each of them. The Single Journey Travel Document (SJTD – IMM 5565B) is one of those solutions.

Who is a stateless person?

A stateless person is someone who is not a citizen of any country. As the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) portrayed, a stateless person is someone that no State accepts as their national. Of course, most people are nationals of at least one country by birth. This could be either because of their place of birth (e.g. Canada) or their parents. However, some people get caught in legal loopholes and remain stateless. How could a stateless person travel from one country to another country? While some permanent solutions for this problem, a Single Journey Travel Document (IMM 5565) could temporarily resolve it.

What is an SJTD (IMM 5565) anyway?

Imagine you need to travel to Canada. On the other hand, an immigration officer agrees to issue you a TRP. However, you do not have a passport or a valid travel document. Consequently, the officer attaches the TRP counterfoil to a single-page document. IRCC calls this document IMM 5565 or, as mentioned earlier, the Single Journey Travel Document or SJTD. Of course, they also affix your photo to it and indicate a validity period. Therefore, you could travel to Canada within the validity period only.

Are there any other uses for a Single Journey Travel Document?

Generally speaking, whenever you do not have a passport or travel document, an officer may use an SJTD (IMM 5565) to allow you to travel to Canada. Of course, they use it for special circumstances. For example, imagine a person who has fled their country because of their political views. They may refer to UNHCR, and ultimately IRCC resettles them to Canada. However, if the person does not hold a passport, the officer may issue a Single Journey Travel Document. Consequently, they may travel to Canada with the help of the SJTD.

Ask your immigration questions!

If you have an immigration-related question, fill out the following form. Of course, I’ll do my best to answer general questions under the Q&A category. A general question is like the one I answered here (i.e. What is a Single Journey Travel Document (IMM 5565 – SJTD)?). However, if the question is case-specific, I’ll advise you to book a consultation session.

    Full Name (required)

    Email address (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your question (required):

    A relevant article: PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document)

    Related Posts

    Navigating Canadian Immigration: A Glimpse into Al Parsai’s Insightful Presentation

    Apr 14, 2024

    Canada Visa Refusals: Impact of Family Ties

    Apr 13, 2024

    Canadian Residency Obligation based on Ambat v. Canada

    Apr 9, 2024

    CUSMA Work Permit: The T36 Exemption Code for Professionals

    Mar 29, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licensed practitioner.

    Al Parsai, LLM, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.