Can I Sponsor My Brothers or Sisters (Siblings) to Immigrate to Canada

sponsoring siblings to CanadaMasha is a Canadian citizen who is originally from Russia. She has a 12-year-old brother who lives in Saint Petersburg. Masha’s parents died in a tragic car accident a few weeks ago. She wants to sponsor her younger brother to Canada as he has no guardians in his home country. Consequently, Mahsa wonders if sponsoring siblings to Canada is an option.

Family reunification is an option to assist your family members in immigration to Canada. However, there are many complexities in sponsoring family members, depending on who you are sponsoring. Regardless, the process of family reunification requires a sponsor and an applicant.

Who could be a sponsor in siblings immigration

The basic requirements to sponsor your siblings or rather brothers or sister is to

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • be at least  18 years old
  • reside in Canada
  • file a sponsorship application according to the guidelines
  • do not owe the government of Canada or any provinces money or other obligations due to previous sponsorship applications
  • meet the minimum income requirements (i.e. the 12-month LICO)

Of course, you could become ineligible for particular criminal histories or issues.  Thus, consult with a professional if you have any problems with the law in Canada or elsewhere.

Who is an applicant in siblings immigration

You may assume a sibling is a brother or a sister. However, when it comes to sponsoring siblings to Canada, they need to meet other conditions. A sibling is eligible for sponsorship if

  • both their parents have passed away, and
  • the sibling is less than 18 years old.

Can I sponsor a sibling who is 18 years or older?

Under exceptional conditions, the answer to this question is yes. If the siblings are 18 years old or more, the sponsor may still sponsor them if she or he is a lonely person. In other words, the sponsor does not have a spouse, a common-law partner, a conjugal partner, a mother or father, a child, or grandparents, either

  • who live in Canada, or
  • the sponsor may qualify to sponsor them.

These are harsh conditions but apply to some people.

What if I do not qualify to sponsor my siblings to Canada

If none of the above conditions apply to you, then you could consider the following options:

(a) Sponsor your siblings under humanitarian and compassionate grounds

Sometimes there are significant humanitarian reasons. Thus, you could ask the immigration officer to consider them while processing the application. However, do not have high hopes as the odds are most likely against you. Read the following article for more information:

(b) You could assist your brother or sister to file for Express Entry

The current Express Entry system adds CRS points to applicants who have a brother or sister in Canada. Of course, you need to be a permanent resident or citizen of Canada. Read the following article to see if your sibling has enough points.

(c) Help your siblings to study in Canada

Studying in Canada could assist your siblings in immigrating to Canada eventually. Therefore, try to support them to get a study permit financially. Of course, you could also help them with the admission process. The following article offers more information.

(d) Become their business partner

Is your sibling a successful business owner or senior manager? Then you could be their business partner to secure a work permit. Of course, they must qualify for this program. The following article helps you understand this option.

Of course, depending on the province of your residence, there could be other options available.

Contact us to assist you and your siblings on this journey.

If you want us to assist you in this journey, select one of the following options.

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    Your WhatsApp Number (Optional)

    Assisting my sibling to immigrate

    What are your preferred options? (you may select more than one)
    Sponsorship;Humanitarian;Express Entry;Study Permit;Business Partnership;Provincial Options;

    Please give us more information about you and your siblings (optional):


    Updated: Nov 26, 2020

    Related Posts

    Canada new Affordability Plan

    Know More About Canada’s Affordability Plan

    Sep 25, 2022

    Section 16(1) and 40(1) in Canadian procedural fairness letters

    Sep 25, 2022
    Canadian job vacancies in 2022

    Canada reported a record high of 997,000 job vacancies

    Sep 24, 2022
    international student with a job offer in Ontario

    Pathway for International Students with a Job Offer in Ontario

    Sep 23, 2022

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.

    Do you have any questions?