Video: Spousal Sponsorship Canada

If a Canadian citizen or permanent resident marries a foreign national, they may later sponsor them to Canada under certain circumstances. A successful sponsorship application results in the permanent residency of the foreign national. This opportunity is also available to common-law partners, conjugal partners, dependent children, and adopted children. 

Al Parsai is a bestseller author, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and an Instructor at Ashton College. In this video, Al explains different aspects of spousal sponsorship. He even discusses matters such as fake marriages and appeals of the decisions of an immigration officer briefly.

Topics in this article

  1. About Al Parsai
  2. Family Reunification
    1. Spousal and children sponsorship
    2. Parents and grandparents
    3. Other family members
  3. Who is a spouse?
    1. Spouse
    2. Common-law partner
    3. Conjugal partner
  4. Who is a child?
    1. Dependent child 
    2. Adopted child
  5. Who is a sponsor
    1. Citizen or permanent resident
    2. 18 years old
    3. Resides in Canada
    4. The five-year requirement under R130(3)
    5. Other requirements under R133 and more
  6. Minimum necessary income
  7. Undertaking
  8. Fake marriages
  9. Appealing the refusals

Other links

You may consider visiting the following links for more information:

If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review the form for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada


This article provides information of a general nature only. It may no longer be current. It does not give legal advice. Do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. We cannot be held responsible for the content of these articles. If you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. If you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment. All the characters in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Any resemblance in names, dates, and places (whether individuals, organizations, regions, or countries) is coincidental.

Related Posts

New Immigration Pathway to Hire Skilled Refugees

Canada Launches New Immigration Pathway to Hire Skilled Refugees

Mar 27, 2023
Express Entry Draw Invites 7000 Candidates March 23

Canada’s Surprise Express Entry Draw Invites 7,000 Candidates

Mar 26, 2023
Canadas record population growth 2023 update

Immigration drives last year’s record population growth in Canada

Mar 25, 2023
Canadian provinces minimum wage 2023

These Canadian provinces will increase their minimum wage in April 2023

Mar 24, 2023

Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

Al Parsai

Al Parsai is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (class L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) in Toronto, Canada. He is an adjunct professor at Queen's University Law School and Ashton College. Al, who holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University, is a member of CICC and CAPIC organizations. Al, the CEO of Parsai Immigration Services, has represented thousands of applicants from more than 50 countries to the immigration authorities since January 2011.