Status requirements for inland spousal applicants in Canada

An inland spousal application is for those who live with their spouse or common-law partner in Canada. Of course, the sponsor is either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. What about the applicant? Do you need to have a valid status in Canada? Of course, this article explores status requirements for inland spousal applicants in Canada.

What is an inland spousal application?

Generally speaking, an inland spousal application allows applicants remain in Canada while IRCC is processing their application. Of course, this type of application only covers spouses and common-law partners. You may read the following article for more information:

Status requirements for inland spousal applicants under the Regulations

Section 124 of the Immigration Regulations (IRPR) describes the eligibility of inland applicants. Thus, here is a copy of this section:

124 A foreign national is a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class if they

(a) are the spouse or common-law partner of a sponsor and cohabit with that sponsor in Canada;

(b) have temporary resident status in Canada; and

(c) are the subject of a sponsorship application.

As you can see, according to paragraph (b), the applicant must be a temporary resident in Canada. In other words, the applicant must be in Canada with a valid visitor status, work permit, study permit or TRP. What about someone who doesn’t have a valid status in Canada? Unfortunately, according to section 124, that person may not apply. However, there is no need to panic. Please keep reading.

Exemptions under the IRCC Public Policy

Luckily IRCC has a public policy that relaxes the status requirements for inland spousal applicants in Canada. However, the applicant must fall under one of the following groups:

  • Overstaying a visa, visitor record, work permit, study permit or temporary resident permit
  • Working or studying in Canada without authorization
  • Entering Canada without a visa or other document required by the Regulations
  • Entering Canada without a valid passport or travel document: However, they must provide necessary identity documents for permanent residence (PR).
  • Irregular entry in Canada (e.g. without going through a port of entry): However, the officers must make sure the relationship is genuine.

The public policy doesn’t prevent CBSA from removing people from Canada. Therefore, do your best to restore your status.

Does the public policy remove status requirements for all inland spousal applicants in Canada?

This policy is not a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card. Consequently, you cannot use it if the lack of status is because of any of the following reasons:

  • Entering Canada irregularly while you needed an Authorization to Return to Canada
  • Using a fraudulent passport or document for entering Canada and subsequently using the same document for the PR application
  • Being under a removal order or enforcement proceedings for reasons other than being out-of-status

Of course, the applicant must be admissible to Canada, or they may not apply in the first place. Keep in mind that the applicant must live with their sponsor in Canada. Therefore, if they change their address from the sponsor or leave Canada, they could face a refusal.

Let us help!

If you intend to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, fill out the following form. Of course, you may alternatively book a consultation session with me.

    Full name (required)

    Email address(required)

    Have you entered your email address correctly?

    WhatsApp Number (Optional)


    Spousal Sponsorship Applications

    Is the sponsor eligible to sponsor his or her spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner?

    NoYesI don't know

    Is the applicant (the foreign national) is an eligible spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner?

    NoYesI don't know

    Have you already submitted the application?

    NoYesI don't know

    Are you facing a refusal or complexities?

    NoYesI don't know

    Are you willing to apply for a work permit?

    NoYesI don't know

    Do you need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa for your spouse or common-law partner?

    NoYesI don't know

    Are you willing to hire an immigration consultant to help you with your sponsorship application?

    NoYesI don't know

    Please provide more explanation below:

    A useful article:

    Related Posts

    Immigration Agencies in the US and Canada: A Comparison

    May 18, 2024

    Innovation Stream Pilot Work Permit in Canada – IMP C88

    May 16, 2024

    Comparing the Standard of Proof in Canada and the United States

    May 12, 2024

    Updated IMP Codes for Intra-Company Transferees (ICT)

    May 11, 2024

    If you wish to visit or move to Canada, please fill out our free assessment form. We will review it for free, but we will contact you only if we find an opportunity for you. Alternatively, you may book a consultation session. Consultation sessions are not free, but you will receive formal advice from a licenced practitioner.

    Al Parsai, MA, DTM, RCIC
    Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Ashton College Instructor – Immigration Consulting
    Author – 88 Tips on Immigration to Canada

    Fill our Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form in your language!

    This article provides information of a general nature only. Considering the fluid nature of the immigration world, it may no longer be current. Of course, the item does not give legal advice. Therefore, do not rely on it as legal advice or immigration advice. Consequently, no one could hold us accountable for the content of these articles. Of course, if you have specific legal questions, you must consult a lawyer. Alternatively, if you are looking for immigration advice, book an appointment.

    The characters and places in the articles:
    All the characters and locations in the articles are fictional, unless otherwise clearly stated. Therefore, any resemblance in names, dates, and places is coincidental.

    Important Notes:
    For our official addresses, trust this website only. We currently do not have offices outside Canada. Therefore, anyone who claims to be our agent is committing fraud. Also, note that we do not issue any work permits or study permits or similar documents. The government of Canada has the sole authority to issue such material.

    Click to read the disclaimer.

    Al Parsai

    This article has been expertly crafted by Al Parsai, a distinguished Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (L3 RCIC-IRB – Unrestricted Practice) hailing from vibrant Toronto, Canada. Al's academic achievements include an esteemed role as an adjunct professor at prestigious Queen's University Law School and Ashton College, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from York University. A respected member of CICC and CAPIC organizations, Al's insights are further enriched by his experience as the dynamic CEO of Parsai Immigration Services. Guiding thousands of applicants from over 55 countries through the immigration process since 2011, Al's articles offer a wealth of invaluable knowledge for readers.